CHAPTER 29

"I remember a guy who used to work here," Alex ran a hand along the edge of the perfectly polished stage, almost like a mirror. "We used to talk about you guys whenever we met at the gym. I never told him that I knew you. He actually helped me get a job as a janitor here when my parents kicked me out of the house. He would always listen to your covers at the gym without headphones. He even auditioned when you summoned people to join your duet and become a band... And Zeth told him no," Alex lowered his head and sighed. "It was awful to learn he's with Sixth Octave now."

"I knew I had seen that guy before!" Draco exclaimed, too loudly as always, snapping his fingers.

"It hurt me to know that Kevin had joined the competition," Alex replied. "We weren't very close, but he was the one who introduced me to the striptease business. I used to sweep the confetti and mop the floors after hours until, one night, he saw me dancing with my headphones on. I didn't see him standing there," Alex looked up, where a glittering disco ball was. "He told Glitter Joe to let me be a stripper, after all, I already had a fit body... How come someone who is so life-changing becomes so distant?"

"What do you mean?" Draco looked down, wanting to take Alex's big, black-finger-nailed hand, but wondering if that was the right thing to do.

"I only saw him one night a week, and we almost never met at the gym, so we drifted away. I heard that he auditioned once and gave up on that dream of being a singer," Alex put his heavy arm around Draco's shoulders, then continued. "I was very surprised to see him today with Anton."

"Maybe Kevin should have auditioned more times," Draco said, patting Alex's chest. His tank top was warm and wet. "Finn, in fact, auditioned three times before making it. He tried each and every one of the three days it took us to find the last member. Finn was twenty-one, and Zeth told him he was young enough to keep on trying somewhere else, that he had to leave, but Finn was either too brave, too stubborn or too stupid to give up on his dream. He jumped security and climbed through a window, and we were on the tenth floor!"

"Finn told me that you and Zeth were very hard to impress," Alex laughed. "But that's how Zeth is, right? But back then, I just couldn’t understand why you didn’t make room for Kevin."

"There were already too many boys in the band," Draco discreetly cuddled into Alex's body, who still had him under his arm. "In fact, Everett was going to be the last member. With you and him, we were already five, but then Finn entered through the window right after Everett left."

"Finn must have made a big impression on both of you after hearing Everett," Alex chuckled. He rocked Draco a little bit towards him, pressing him slightly against his body, and Draco enjoyed every second of it.

"God! Everett impressed us so much that we made room for him!" Draco said, discreetly inhaling the masculine, woody scent of his friend's cologne. "Everett was stubborn, he was twenty-three years old but we thought he was older because... Tall. He stepped into the hotel room and stood still even though we told him the auditions were over. Everett did not move, he did not speak. Not even two security guards could get him out. Only after Zeth promised to listen to him if he left afterwards did Everett nod, and we agreed to listen to him."

"That totally sounds like Everett," Alex laughed. His torso vibrated with his laughter, and Draco was glad to be here in his warm embrace. "And what song did he sing?"

"He sang 'Come Dal Ciel Precipita' from Macbeth and blew me away! Zeth was angry with me for adding a fifth member, but later said he was mad at himself for not seeing Everett's potential at the time." Draco ran his hand over Alex's chest again, hoping he wasn't pushing his luck too far. "But then Finn came along! And he also refused to leave until he got a third chance."

"What song did he sing?"

"He sang 'Immortals' by Fallout Boy and left Zeth and me truly impressed, it was literally like listening to Patrick Stump. The previous tries weren't bad, but this one had something special." Draco replied somewhat playfully. "In fact, Zeth decided to give him a chance because he saw potential in him, a fighter who never gave up."

"And to think that just because Kevin told me that you and Zeth turned him down I went to the audition," Alex laughed, running his hand through his brown hair, "I mean, Kevin was older than me and I was barely twenty-two, but I saw him as my little brother for some reason and... I got carried away. I actually wanted to kick your immortal asses."

"Wait, you didn't tell me that," Draco said, pushing away a little, terrified for a second at the thought of the band without Alex.