15

After much discussion, we decided it would be best to just hit my squad with everything at once, all together, and face the music. We hung out in the Terra Omega quarters until we were sure that the Exterminators would be in the mess hall, likely wondering where we were. Then we started out.

     I'd anticipated that Zeke would be eager to hold my hand for the first time. I was right, but at the same time, Zeke's obvious eagerness was tempered. He was smiling as he came up to me but froze partway through the act of pulling off his glove. He seemed to consider it and left his glove on. He reached toward me, stopping a few inches away. I didn't move. This morning I already had a stress headache. I wasn't looking forward to this. I had no intention of helping him out by closing the distance between us. Instead, I remained as I was, leaning against the frame of the door with my arms crossed over my chest, one foot crossed behind the other, and glowered at him.

     Zeke seemed to wilt. "If you are not willing to do this, perhaps we can come up with an alternative plan?"

     "I didn't say no," I snapped. "I'm not permitted to do that, remember?" I let my arms drop to my sides but still made no move toward him. "Can we please just get this over with? I would kind of like to eat today."

     That took the rest of the wind out of his sails. For a moment, he looked so disappointed that I almost felt sorry for him. But he quickly straightened up and nodded. "As you wish." Then he reached forward and took my hand. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him frown.

     "I'm not sharing energy with you," I told him, not meeting his eyes. "Thanks for showing me how to control it, by the way. I know that's what you wanted."

     "Yes," he admitted, surprising me a bit. "I wanted that very much. I am glad that you are able to apply what I have taught you, but leaving my gloves on would make sharing more difficult, even if you were willing."

     Ok, he had me there. Whatever. I started forward, heading quickly toward the mess hall. It was a beautiful day, bright and sunny, cool without being cold. That meant there was a lot of activity outside as we passed through. Naturally, we drew attention. There we were, Terra Omega Operative J of Alpha Group, walking through the base holding hands with Ezekiel the Pilgrim, World's Greatest Defender. Every head was turning, eyes wide. Already the whispers were starting. Word would spread fast. By lunch, the entire base would have me pegged as Zeke's bump in the night. My cheeks flamed. I could feel Zeke's hand tighten on mine. If he meant it as a gesture of support or simply because he was feeling possessive among all the stares, I had no way to know. Right now, I didn't care.

     I kept walking, intent on getting to the mess hall, meeting the squad, and getting this humiliation over with, but Zeke stopped me. I'd been setting a fairly quick pace. When he abruptly stopped moving, I nearly fell. Then he started pulling me, wanting to go off to the left. Frowning, I followed. "What are you doing?"

     "Flowers!" he announced.

     I looked and saw where we were heading. Ah, Mrs. Higgins's prized rosebushes. I'd forgotten that Zeke wanted to court me. Apparently, I was getting roses this morning.

     Zeke led me up to the rosebushes, grabbed one of them, and ripped it out of the ground. He shook off the dirt, frowning when most of the rose petals ended up on the ground as well. "These flowers seem quite fragile, and the thorns are most unpleasant."

     "Yeah, I think it's symbolic," I explained. "Roses are supposed to be very romantic. The thorns are supposed to represent the pains of true love or some damned thing. Ask the Palmer twins, they'd know."

     "Ah." He presented me with the broken, battered rosebush. "For courtship."

     "Thanks." I took it gingerly, wincing when the thorns pierced my skin. "I don't know, Zeke, I think we're doing this wrong."