Ch 16: Violent Passions

NATE'S POV
🌶️

I was of the strong opinion that bathroom windows were for climbing out of, not in, but somehow Fallon and I made it work. I nodded sagely at the wide-eyed man by the urinal, who was blinking like he was trying to tell if he'd accidentally taken too much of something. He nodded back hesitantly before returning to his shaky stream, evidently deciding that he had.

We tried not to touch anything on our way into the club, kicking open the door. I could tell from the stiff set of Fallon's shoulders that he was also holding his breath against the unfortunate evidence of collectively abysmal aim. Men truly were disgusting.

When we pushed into the sweet smelling smoke, I exhaled with a soft chuckle, rolling my neck and flexing my fingers. I rather liked the challenge of being normal; relying on my wits and grit instead of my bottomless wallet to get what I wanted. This way, we got into the club for free and the beady-eyed bouncer got exactly what he deserved: absolutely nothing.

"How the hell are we supposed to find her?" Fallon growled, standing on the edge of the first dance floor of five. "... people everywhere. Can't smell a damn thing!"

"Have faith, brother," I said, slapping him on the back. "Our girl is bound to be in the middle of all the mischief."

Fallon shot me a woeful look, like I was just as bad as she was. I was about to say as much when a familiar face caught my eye, sucking another face like it was a lemon.

"See? There's Addy," I said, squeezing Fallon's shoulder. "I'm sure Aurora will be right —"

Aurora was indeed behind my cousin, getting up close and personal with a second-rate Chris Hemsworth with muscles packed on top of muscles. The sight knocked the breath out of my lungs, but I didn't have time to process my response because Fallon's shoulder was crumpling under my hand, sprouting tough , wiry fur. Cracking bones splintered through the melody on odd beats.

"Shit," I swore, dragging him back against the shadowy wall. "Addy, a little help!"

My cousin's head snapped sideways, her eyes widening with alarm as she processed what was happening.

"Get a grip," I snarled in Fallon's ear, trying to pin him down in his human form.

"He's touching her," Fallon snarled, the words butchered by a mouthful of jagged fangs.

The words minced through me, as well. "I know," I hissed, "but you can't do this here. We promised her a normal night."

"Nothing about this is normal," he spat. "Do you have any idea what that could do to her reputation? How they'll treat her at court?"

"Who's going to tell them?" I asked, struggling to keep him contained. "No one from society would be caught dead here. She's fine. She's obviously consenting to do... that. With that person. So who cares?"

"I care," he hissed, throwing me off guard. In all our years together, I'd never seen him like this. Not even when his mother and father had their throats slit before our eyes. "She's my mate. And I'm going to fucking kill him."

The black wolf burst free for a split second before Addy's fingers touched his brow and he slumped to the floor unconscious.

"What took you so long?" I snapped, running my hand through my hair.