21. Her Final Decision

Looking down at the fraying sleeve of her blazer, a wave of memories crashed over George. This blazer had seen her through everything, every different stage of her career, all the way back to the beginning, when she had been riding in this same elevator, on the way up to the same conference room, to face the same table of faces.

George made the decision, as the elevator ascended, to buy a new blazer when this day was done. It was time.

George hadn't had the stomach to eat that morning when she woke up. Or more accurately, when she finally gave in to the fact that sleep was not going to fall upon her and got out of bed.

She was greeted by a dining table full of flowers and gifts. George's brain flew to the image of a funeral. But the flowers weren't of condolence for the death of her career. They were wishes of good luck. The undecided fate of George's career had made the rounds throughout the community and her friends had responded in kind.

The biggest bouquet was from Reeve, the large white lilies filling the room with a sweet scent as they stood tallest among the rest. Her note was short, sweet, and thoughtful. It was full of love and concern but also held a short post-script that invited her, again, to be a part of Reeve's own next chapter in her career, no matter the turnout of George's meeting with the label.

Tommy, Jay, Mia, and Casey had all sent notes along with a vase of breathtaking red roses. The Haven sisters sent a box of chocolates along with the offer of assistance if George needed any members of the board assassinated. Or as party-goers if there was a need to celebrate. The three sisters made it clear they were available for both.

Anton had sent her a long message that she hadn't had a clear enough eye to read just yet. Wes had left a long voicemail, his wife, Reagan, hoping on the end with words of encouragement and their two kids ending the message with loud cries of hello. That was what had originally started George's waterworks.

Each member of Late Nights had sent their own bouquet, Leo sending his along with a bottle of champagne for both possible outcomes, and each note ended with a request to work together again, regardless of the end come of George's meeting.

George found herself sitting on the floor, Ali Sykes' box of maple candies and long hand-written note unread in her lap. Her heart couldn't take anymore. All around her, surrounding her on all sides, were her friends, showing up for her, supporting her. Her community went with her as she headed into the city, George could feel it.

And her family stood on both sides of her as the elevator ascended to the top floor. George looked to her right. Jamie's warm smile spread across her face when she met George's eye.

"Thank you for coming today," George said.

"I can't think of a better place to be."

George reached for her friend's hand and squeezed. She looked up at Sydney but couldn't open her mouth, her emotions threatening to overtake her again if she spoke even a word of how she felt about this woman who had walked her through everything.

Sydney nodded. She knew everything George wanted to say and more. She always had.

When the elevator doors finally opened, George found the rest of her family waiting for her. Somewhere inside her, her little ten-year-old heart burst with happiness as she found her mother and father standing together, chatting, smiling, laughing. George couldn't remember the last time she had seen them act so friendly to each other. It reminded her, in that instant, that they had been in love once. They used to be friends. They looked at each other like she used to find Felix looking at her.

George swallowed to keep Felix and her feelings at bay and finally exited the elevator. Her sister, Lily, ran to her and wrapped her up in a hug that threatened to cut off George's air supply. George squeezed her little sister just as tight.