39

She was hiding her face in her palms, pressing her head between her knees, and shaking her head vigorously. His demeanor was enough to trigger every fear related to him; she was holding on.

He was breaking every second, seeing her in this state. Was she afraid of him? His heart trembled at the thought. She wasn't looking at him.

This was the last thing he wanted, but who was he kidding? He was the sole reason for her current state, her trauma – he was her trauma.

"Amisha," he said softly, bending down to her level. When she looked up and saw him so close, she averted her gaze and covered her ears with her palms, shouting, "Go away, please go!" as she crawled back to her place.

"I won't hurt you. Please look at me," he said, tears welled up in his eyes.

How could someone make their loved one cry? He just couldn't bear to witness it. Realizing that many husbands do what he was about to do with her, how could he become such an animal?

"No, I don't trust you! Go, monster! I hate you! Go! You'll rape me again," she said. Hearing each word, tears flowed rapidly down his face. His mouth slightly parted, and he withdrew his hands.

In a broken voice, he said, "I nev-never raped you."

She looked at him and then repeated, "I don't trust you, obsessed freak."

"Everything was right, but you had to ruin it. Please let me live now, I beg you. You want to see me broken, you want to see me weak. Well, see, I couldn't even look at you without fear. Please let me live;

I'll die with you. I can't forgive you, please understand. I don't want to suffer all those things again, please," she said, joining her palms in front of him, begging him to leave her.

He cupped her joined palms and said, "Meeshah, don't say this. Please, just give me a chance. Allow me to make sure that you're safe."

She pulled back her hands and replied, "I won't be safe whenever I'm with you."

Both of them were hurt, both of them were crying, but one was crying for the other, and the other was crying because of the one.

"I'm asking for a chance to heal those wounds," he said, still in close proximity to her. He could sense that she wasn't as traumatized by him, and he felt relieved that he still had a chance.

"You can't," she replied, her voice mixing with her salty tears.

"I will, I promise."

"But I can't trust you. It hurts so bad, you know? It hurt me so much, it was causing me so much pain. You know, I hate you. I couldn't believe that I had to go through all of this. Why did you make me this worthless?"

"My baby is not worthless, you aren't, my heart isn't," he was stumbling over his words, shattering with each moment. He saw in her eyes how broken she looked, how vulnerable her state was, all because of 'him'.

"But you made me feel worthless, Vivaan. I don't want to live. Can you please end my life? Fulfill my last desire. I promise you would be forgiven after that," he hated that he was the reason she didn't want to live when she was the only reason he wanted to live.

"I won't let you die. I will erase all the pain from your life. I'll take on all those pains," he said.

"You can't. Can you feel what I was going through? It seemed like I wouldn't be alive the next moment," she paused, tears interrupting her, and then continued,

"You know, I wanted to tell someone what I was going through that night, but I couldn't. They would be disgusted by me. I'm worthless. They'll hate me just like you."