xix. fireworks

It's new year's eve. The Gilmore Girls are having lunch at Luke's. They are playing the 'One, Two, Three. He's yours' game, which consisted in looking at the window and the first guy who passes is "yours", but every person has 3 passes, because there are some people that we don't want to be ours. My sincere apologies for the bad explanation. 

"I'll go first." Lorelai said. The three of them looked at the window seriously. 

"And... one." Rory spoke as the first guy walked by. He had greasy white hair and looked like he could be the live-action Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

"Pass."

"Why?" Emma asked, taking a bite of her food.

"Because I'm not Demi Moore. Next."

"Okay."

"Two!" Rory called their attention as the second guy walked by. He was on a skateboard. Emma laughed. 

"Pass." Lorelai said wisely. "I don't feel like being a pedophile today. Next."

The three sets of blue eyes were looking at the window so attentively that they didn't notice Luke coming to the table:

"What are you looking for?" He came to refill her coffee cups. Rory held hers with the biggest glow of gratitude in her face. 

"My new husband." 

"She already passed two perfectly good prospects." Emma commented. Luke was extremely confused as he poured the coffee.

"But I'm feeling pretty good about number three." Lorelai smiled brightly.

"Do I want to know what you're really doing?"

"Hey." Rory took a sip of her coffee. "Luke came to the table. Does that make him number three?"

"No." Luke and Lorelai answered in unison. 

"That was a little too quick." Emma took a sip of her coffee.

"Yes, it was." Lorelai agreed. "Why don't you want to be my husband? Am I not good enough for you?"

"You also said 'no'!" He protested.

"That's not same. I said 'no' because I think there's someone better out there for me."

"Then let's see." Luke grabbed a chair and sat with the Gilmore Girls. Kirk walked by.

"No!" Lorelai complained. Luke smiled. 

"Daddy!" Emma and Rory chanted in unison before entering the land of laughter. 

"I want to go back to the hunchback!" 

Kirk entered the diner. Luke walked up to him with a once in a lifetime kind of happiness. 

"Congratulations!" He said to Kirk, tapping on his back.

"Thank you..." Poor Kirk. Lost in his confusion. 

"Who's next?" Rory asked.

"I can go next." Emma volunteered. Fate is funny, a cute type of funny, because sometimes it pulls the right strings and the puppet show of our lives ends up looking like a high-budget Broadway musical. 

Tristan walked by the window.

"You're kidding! I get a guy who changes jobs more than my mother changes maids and she gets her prince charming! Life isn't fair." Lorelai grabbed her phone. "I'm going to call Max and suggest a new path for his weekly hikes." 

Emma was already outside. She ran into his arms and kissed him. 

"What are you doing here?" There was a sweet euphoria in her heart.