Chapter 32: The Creature from my Nightmares

George POV.

My body shivered as I was pulled out of the water by a pair of strong hands which proceeded to cradle me caringly. I didn’t see who it was, although I both suspected and hoped that it was Dream there to look after me. Both of my eyes were screwed shut as I focused on refilling my lungs with oxygen, just breathing deeply as I was carried back to dry land.

Both my eyes remained shut until we were on solid ground and the river was far enough away that I couldn’t hear it’s taunting, heinous, jeers. My hands both moved up to my face and I rubbed the water out of my eyes before cautiously opening them, but when they did open I let out a scream and immediately started struggling.

It was the creature from my nightmares. The big black scaly monster with the claws and the fangs. The monster that my father always sent to kill me after he yelled. He just looked at me, with the black pupiless eyes as I struggled to get away. Was it going to kill me? Where were Dream, and Sapnap, and Karl?

Tears were in my eyes and the creature let out a concerned sounding growl, and his eyes followed me. I just cried. “Dream!” I called out, hoping that wherever the blond was he could hear me. “Karl!” Even Sapnap’s name was called out in a desperate bid for protection.

I saw the pair of them appearing from between the trees, but still no sign of Dream. The creature continued to approach and I was screaming louder, begging for protection from the thing. Suddenly it shifted in front of me, turning from a terrifying monster into… Dream.

A scream fell from my lips, full of fear after everything that I had witnessed, and that I had endured in my nightmare every single night since they had taken me. “No!” It was a mix between a sob and a scream. “No!” I repeated. My loud desperate cries were enough to cause the demon to freeze, feeling unsure of what to do and how to act.

“Karl!” I screamed desperately. “S-Sapnap!” My voice was breaking apart before something grabbed me in a hug from behind. For a moment I had a pure, primal fear run through me and attempted to claw the thing away, but it was Karl and I quickly fell apart into shaking and sobbing.

“It’s okay George.” Karl tried to reassure me, not caring about how soaked I was as he held me closely, with Sapnap just a few metres behind him. “It’s just Dream.”
The blond had shrunk back slightly at my fear, seeming unsure about what he was supposed to do, or how he was supposed to act.

“It’s not okay!” I responded. “It’s never… never okay.” My mind seemed to run out of words and for a few moments I scrambled to find a coherent explanation. “He hurt me! He hurt me and wouldn’t stop even when I was crying and begging and-” I cut myself off with a terrified shudder.
“Dream would never hurt you.” Karl tried to reassure.

“George.” Dream spoke softly, his eyes refusing to glow as he watched me with worry. “I won’t hurt you. I would never-”
“No!” I screamed. “You hurt me! Dad… Dad told you to hurt me. You listened to him and you did!” My throat hurt from my screaming. “You hurt me and… and…”

I turned and buried my head in Karl’s chest, not wanting to look at the blond demon after everything that had happened. A few minutes passed, and I could hear both Sapnap and Dream talking, but I couldn’t understand what it was that they were saying and it scared me. I just shivered against my best friend (it could have been from the cold or my fear, who knew).

The talking grew silent and footsteps approached before somebody lifted me up. I immediately assumed Dream and my primal fear returned. Once again I began scratching and clawing and screaming, but then I noticed that the person carrying me was Sapnap.

It didn’t stop me from being scared, but since it was Sapnap and not Dream I did relax a little bit. Sapnap hasn’t attacked me, even though I did bite him once. He wouldn't hurt me. My hands gripped at the fabric of his shirt and my eyes fluttered shut as I tried to control my breathing.

Dream POV.

“Why is he scared?” Sapnap asked, speaking in a language that neither of the humans would understand. My eyes just widened and I shrugged.
“How should I know?” I responded. “He was muttering about how his Dad got me to attack him, but I don’t know his Dad! Plus, I would never hurt him and he should know that!”

“He seems convinced.” Sapnap muttered. “So there must be some sort of truth to it. People… humans or demons… can’t make this stuff up. Especially if they've been through what George and Karl have.”
“What am I supposed to do?” I asked anxiously, noting the way he was sobbing into Karl’s shirt. It pained me. I just wanted to hold him and reassure him that he was alright.

My hands were clasped together, fidgeting tightly and my breathing was shaky. “Oh God what do I do Sapnap? How can I take care of him if he hates me?”
“We’ll figure something out later, Dream. For now, we have to get him home.”

Sapnap walked away from me and over to the pair of humans. He looked into Karl’s eyes for a moment, seemingly having a silent conversation with his beloved pet before picking George up in his arms. For a few moments George struggled before seemingly realising that it was Sapnap (and not me) and relaxing.

The wrath demon began walking towards the house, seeming completely un-wrath-like as he held George protectively. Karl fell back to walk alongside me and every so often he’d glance into my eyes. Neither of us talked though, instead just focusing on Sapnap and George, and the occasional sob that accompanied them.

“So who’s George’s Dad?” I eventually asked, since Karl was his best friend he had to know.
“I’m not sure.” Was the response I got, and I gave him a confused look which caused him to elaborate. “After… everything that had happened… we found one another. Since we were both young, we decided to stick together.”

Neither of them had talked much about their past before and so I was curious to hear. “Since we were all that we got, we became best friends. Our only goal was survival though. We didn’t have much time for our pasts since we had to focus on the present and the future.”
“Oh… I’m sorry for worrying you then.” I muttered. “Nevermind.”

“No, I did get told a little.” Karl reassured me. “When me and George met he knew a lot more about surviving on the bare minimum than I did, so I asked about it. He told me that a few years before the demons came he ran away from home. His father especially was abusive and his mother and any other family he had usually let it happen.”

“That’s horrible.” I spoke in a hushed voice. I couldn’t even imagine it. No demon would ever hurt a member of their family, aside from the sometimes rough games that kids would play with one another. The thought of my George, my precious pet human going through that, it hurt.

“I’ll call Skeppy and Bad when I get home.” I concluded, announcing it to Karl who looked at me curiously. “They are experts at looking after humans. I’ll see if they can come up with any way to help George not hate me.” A small smile appeared on my face. It was a fake one, obviously. I didn’t actually feel happy about this situation at all.

But at least it was an option.
_________________________________________
1343 words

Womp womp