Chapter 22

"It's been two months! What am I paying you for?"

Tim Manning jumped as his client's fist came down on his desk hard. Daniel Remington scared the crap out of him. Manning was the third detective Daniel had hired to find Jenna, and so far, he too hadn't come through.

To say Daniel was frustrated would be an understatement. He was cranky and pissed off more often than not. He didn't sleep well, and Rafe was constantly agitated, driving Daniel insane as he whined for his mate in Daniel's head.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Remington, but there's just not much out there I can find. I've done what I can," the detective said, closing the file on his desk, He had done quite a bit of digging, and he had hit a brick wall. Tim no longer wanted Daniel Remington as a client. "Did you ever consider the possibility that someone doesn't want you to find her?"

Daniel stared at him for a moment then stood. "Good day Mr. Manning," he said on his way out. 

Tim breathed a sigh of relief when the large man with the suffocating presence was out of his life. Daniel Remington had been one of the most intimidating men he'd ever dealt with and he almost felt sorry for Jenna Browning if Remington ever did find her.

He watched Daniel get into his car through the window. The car sat there for a moment before finally pulling away from the curb. Tim returned to his desk and picked up his phone, punching in a number he had memorized.

"I got rid of the man who is searching for Ms. Browning. He's no longer my client," he said into the phone.

"Good," the voice on the other end answered. "What was your excuse?"

"That I've hit a brick wall and there's nothing more I could find out," Tim answered.

"Tell me who your client is. I'll pay you well for the information."

"No way. He scares me more than you do. I won't reveal my client." Tim ended the call, and sat down at his desk, glad to be out of that mess.

Both of the men made him nervous but there was just something about Remington that made Tim never want to meet the man in a dark alley.

***

Mitch Browning stared at his phone for a moment and sighed. He was alone in his office at home. Worry creased his forehead. Someone was looking for Jenna, and had been pretty much since she'd moved back home. So far, they hadn't succeeded in finding her. He'd made sure of that. The moment someone had started prodding into her background, his man in DC had let him know.

Mitch wondered if it was the father of Jenna's baby. He wasn't happy that the man had left his daughter. He had asked Jenna about it, but she hadn't said much, telling him it had just been a one night stand. Mitch hadn't liked that answer, but he wouldn't push her. He had seen the pain in her eyes and wondered if Jenna was being honest with him. He'd made the decision to keep the man away from her.

Jenna had her family to support her and help her raise this baby.  Mitch would make sure she and his granddaughter had everything they would ever need.

So far, this unknown person had hired three different detectives, but he'd had no luck.

Not that Mitch's had been much better. None of the detectives would tell him the man's name. They all seemed afraid of him, which really worried Mitch. Who was this person? What kind of power did he hold and how did Jenna know him.

Now that he was retired, he had all the time in the world. He'd wait and see who the man would hire next. Two could play at this game of cat and mouse.

He hadn't told Jenna any of this, and he didn't plan to unless it was absolutely necessary. She had no phone, no bills, no car, and she'd never switched her license over to Pennsylvania. She was pretty much off the grid. Mitch sighed. He'd keep her that way for as long as possible.