"Well, I'm sorry to tell you ma'am but the cars done. Just doesn't want to go anymore," The mechanic at the shop they towed her car to told her.

"Really? There's nothing you can do?" Claire asked, looking behind him at the car that was now as good as scrap metal.

"Not unless you want to sink 2, maybe 3 thousand into at 15 year old car,"

"No. Probably wouldn't be the wisest decision," She sighed as she shook her head.

"Best I can give you for it is 800 bucks,"

"That's it? Look at it," She said as she motioned to the car, "It's in pristine condition,"

"It is but it's 15 years old ma'am,"

"Fine. Whatever. I'll take the 800," she sighed, taking the check that he made out for her before calling Ashley to come and pick her up.

Ashley was there within a few minutes, helping her get whatever she needed out of the car before they headed home.

"So now you have no car?" Ashley asked, looking over at her as she drove.

"Yeah," she nodded, "So now you're stuck driving my sorry ass to work every morning,"

"Oh no! Whatever will I do?!" She said dramatically, looking over at her best friend as she pulled into the driveway.

"Drive me to work and tell me I'm pretty," Claire laughed, getting out of the car and starting to grab all of her things.

"Only if you buy the Dunkin with all the money you'll be saving on gas,"

"It's a deal,"

——————

The next morning, Ryan made sure he was the one to drop Hayden off, mainly to see Claire. Clara also had the week off so he would be doing drop-off and pickup.

"Hey Hayden," She smiled, hugging the little girl back as she came up to her in the hallway.

"Hi, Miss Sevey!" Hayden smiled as she looked up at her.

"Go get in your seat honey," She smiled, before turning to Ryan, "Mornin,"

"Morning," He smiled a little, "Hayden had kind of a rough night. Nightmares woke her up and she ended up in bed with me,"

"Any particular reason?"

"She doesn't remember what it was about but she ran in crying at 2 AM and woke me up," He shrugged, "If she gets to be too much, just call me,"

"Will do," She nodded.

"Bye Hayden," He waved into the classroom, kneeling as Hayden ran over to him and hugged him. "Love you,"

"Love you too," She grinned before she ran back into the classroom and took her seat.

Ryan left and Claire went back into the room, talking to all of her kids as they got ready for the day ahead.

The day flew by and the class was outside, spending the last few minutes of the day playing on the playground. Ryan had come to pick her up a little early.

"Hayden, dad's here!" Claire called, watching the little girl go down the slide and start her run straight for her dad.

"Hey kiddo, how was your day?" He asked as he lifted her off the ground.

"Good!"

"She had a good day. No mention of the nightmares," Claire shrugged, smiling as she marked Hayden "picked up" on her list of kids.

"Good. I was hoping it was just a fluke night,"

"Could've been. Hopefully, it was just a fluke," she nodded, "I'll see you tomorrow Hayden. Be good for dad tonight,"

"Okay!" The girl nodded, wiggling out of her father's arms to give Claire a hug.

They left soon enough, leaving Claire to finish her day before she was able to go home with Ashley.

They did their own thing before ordering dinner and eating together as they watched a movie.

"So what's going on with you and that hot racer dad?" Ashley asked, looking at her best friend as she paused the TV.

"Oh my god are you on this again?" Claire groaned, grabbing the bottle of wine and refilling her glass, "Nothing is going on,"

"Oh come on. There has to be something after your little coffee date," She teased.

"Only because he pulled up behind my broken-down car," Claire chuckled as she rolled her eyes. "He was just being friendly,"

"Did he buy it?"

"Yes,"

"Oh my god Claire," Ashley facepalmed, "Did he offer?"

"Yeah," she shrugged.

"Claire. Open your eyes!"

"Ashley there's nothing going on between Hayden's dad and I," she told her sternly, laughing a little at the thought of it. "Change the subject or I'll punch you,"

"Alright whatever, but when I'm standing by you at your wedding, I get to say I told you so," she shrugged.

Claire just rolled her eyes. She didn't see how it could possibly be that far along in her head.

"What are you gonna do about your car?"

"Well, I sold it to the mechanic. Probably for parts and everything. They only gave me 800 for it," she shrugged, "Just gotta figure out where to find one,"

"Ask hot racer dad,"

"Ryan," she rolled her eyes again before punching her arm.

"Ow!" She groaned as she rubbed her arm, "Okay you warned me about that one,"

"I did," she nodded, "I'll call Kel. Maybe he can come down here and help me. I'm not good at this,"

"I'd go with you but I'm booked solid with grading over the weekend. You can take my car if you need to though,"

"I might. But then how would I get it home?" Claire asked, looking over at her best friend.

"True. I'd have to go with you. Or I could Uber there to pick it up if you find one," she suggested.

"That would be fine," Claire shrugged, looking at her phone.

"or you could call hot racer dad,"

"Oh my god are you ever gonna get over that? We're not gonna be together," Claire whined, getting only slightly annoyed.

"I'm not gonna get over it until I'm in your wedding party,"

"Then you're gonna be insufferable for the rest of my life,"