(( 002. )) . . . consequences

ii
CONSEQUENCES

( 1x01 - 1x02 : summer house & summer dress )

. . .

"Hey, sweetheart, don't forget the invite."

Maddie's nose crinkles up a bit, shoving her work uniform polo into her bag as she walked. Once at the kitchen counter, she looks at the card that she had yet to mark, and sighs. Then she glances back over her shoulder toward her mom, "Do you have a pencil or pen or something?"

"Check the drawer," she responds without looking up from where she was shuffling through her own bag. The teenager does so, opening it, grabbing the first pencil she finds, and goes back over to the kitchen counter where the RSVP is set down. Without hesitation, she marks down declining the invite. As much as the idea of disappointing Susannah sucked, Maddie did not have it in her to try enduring... all of that.

She sets the pencil down, and grabs the card, sticking it in her bag slung around her form. Her mother comes around and she glances up when she feels her hand touch her arm.
"Just so you know," her mom starts softly, "I talked to Sparrow about this already, but I stopped by the beach house while you were out. I told Laurel. So she knows."

Maddie's face falls. Then she swallows, and blinks, before clearing her throat and looking away again, trying to find an excuse to focus anywhere but her mothers gaze.
"Yeah, okay. Did-" the blonde stops, then starts again, "do the others know? Are they telling them or something?"
Her mom shakes her head a bit, "Kind of a hard topic to broach. We're figuring out how to go about it," she rubs Maddie's shoulder a bit and adds, "but if you want to say something yourself-"
"No," it bursts out a bit more suddenly then she intends. So she takes a breath in and shakes her head, "No you'd probably handle it better."
"Sweetheart-"

Her mom's cut off by the sound of the twin's bedroom door clicking open. Out comes Sparrow, fiddling with their hearing aid case a bit, before walking over.

Sorry, had to change the batteries. They sign, before sticking the case in their jacket pocket, and then adjusting the hearing aids themselves a bit on their ears. Maddie takes the interruption as an out to the conversation.

"Guess we're ready to go, then?" Maddie asks. She doesn't really wait for an answer, before she's out the door anyway.

. . .

"Good morning you three."

"Hey Laurel," Maddie greets the woman casually as they walk through the doorway. She tries to go around to the kitchen. To no avail.
"Nuh uh, cmere," Laurel signals with a laugh. Maddie exhales, but goes around and hugs the woman after putting her bag down. When the hug broke, Maddie had to be honest. The look the woman gave her made her want to be sick. But luckily, she turned to hug Sparrow instead of saying anything. Then she hugged her mom.