~Chapter 67~

She finally musters the courage to approach Helena after a thorough search of the Room of Requirement

She finally musters the courage to approach Helena after a thorough search of the Room of Requirement. The darkness outside keeps most students indoors, affording her some much-needed privacy as she conceals herself in a secluded section of the hallway. Ensuring no prying eyes are watching, she cautiously ventures past the Room of Requirement, her thoughts focused on the elusive Diadem.

And then, as if conjured by her determination, a door materializes. Josephine's smile radiates as she gently pushes the door open, ensuring it closes quietly behind her.

Her breath catches in her throat as she enters the room. Its vastness overwhelms her, with towering stacks of miscellaneous objects obscuring the boundaries. Josephine can't discern where the room ends; the walls are entirely hidden beneath these towering piles of items.

"Find the lost Diadem of Ravenclaw," she whispers to herself. Earlier research advised her to vocalize her intention periodically, a guide to prevent getting lost and help locate the sought-after object.

Navigating over countless pieces of clothing, mirrors, jewelry, books, and furniture, she reiterates, "The lost diadem." She strains to conjure an image based on Helena's description.

It feels as if she is walking in circles, and yet there is no sign of the diadem. Josephine knows this quest will require time and patience, but her frustration is growing.

Sighing, she retraces her steps back to the door; her conversation with Helena awaits, and the hour is growing late.

However, just before opening the door, she turns back for one more futile look around. It remains elusive.

Peeking outside, Josephine ensures the coast is clear before stealthily exiting the room and proceeding down the hallway.

Josephine stifles a yawn as she makes her way to the common room, her fatigue evident. The daily facade is beginning to take its toll, yet it is a role she feels compelled to play.

At last, she reaches the common room, ascends the stairs to the girls' dormitory, and proceeds to Helena's room.

Upon entering and closing the door behind her, Helena materializes near the fireplace.

"Hello, Josephine," she greets.

Josephine offers a warm smile as she takes a seat in one of the chairs.

Before launching into conversation, Josephine discreetly casts a spell.

"Muffliato," she whispers, her wand gracefully in hand. Helena raises an inquisitive eyebrow. "Spies seem to be everywhere these days," Josephine quips, eliciting a smile from Helena.

"I searched for the horcrux, but I could not find it. I think I'll need to delve deeper into horcruxes and the Room to track it down," Josephine admits.

Helena lets out a thoughtful hum. "We did anticipate that it would be a quick find."

Josephine nods, sensing it's time to broach the topic of her true parentage. She begins hesitantly, "I've also come across some information about my real parents."

As Helena inches closer, tilting her head curiously, Josie's fingers nervously pick at her nails. She knows that her father is Aspen Ravenclaw from Tom. But Helena can confirm it.

"Is my father Aspen Ravenclaw?" Josie finally asks.

Helena takes a moment before responding, "Yes."

"And you've known this all along?" Josie's tapping on the chair grows more pronounced.

"Yes," Helena admits.

"Is there a reason you didn't tell me?" Josie questions, a hint of frustration creeping into her voice.

Yet, Josie can't muster the same level of anger she has felt towards Euphemia and Fleamont. Helena hasn't treated her differently because of her parentage, in stark contrast to her adoptive parents. Their treatment of her left her feeling different from James. Which made her feel like an outsider.

Helena appears to contemplate her response. "There were many reasons for my silence."

"Such as the reason they died?" Josie probes, her tone carrying a mix of curiosity and sorrow.

Helena's expression turns melancholic. "You know?"

"The prophecy, right?" Josie presses.

Helena nods solemnly.

"Can you... do you know what the prophecy says?" Josie asks, desperate to understand the gravity of her parents' deaths and Dumbledore's actions.

"In the lineage of the wise, a bloodline true, The last descendant, with a choice to construe. A descendant of Ravenclaw, clever and bright, Holds the key to the balance, in darkness and light. She'll rise with knowledge, a quest to embrace. To decide the world's fate, in this trying space."

Josie leans back, murmuring, "Shit."

She grapples with the weight of the revelation. Why does she have to be the one destined to balance both sides?

"So that's why Dumbledore had them killed? Because of that stupid prophecy?" Josie inquires bitterly.

Helena remains silent, her gaze filled with sympathy, as if looking at a wounded puppy.

"I need some time to think," Josephine says, rising from her seat. "Thank you, Helena. I'll talk to you later."

Prophecy.

The word reverberates in her mind, suffocating her with guilt.

It's my fault.

The weight of guilt remains unrelenting. She supposes it's a just burden to bear. After all, she is still breathing and capable of feeling, while her parents lay buried six feet beneath the ground in a distant, unfamiliar graveyard.