Chapter 3

They ran down the halls. Colin had asked Clara to bring a voluminous cloak as to hide her. Finally, they reached the armory. Colin peeked in, and upon seeing it empty, beckoned Clara in. "It's just up ahead," he whispered. She nodded, her eyes wide.

            Colin reached a large shield painted with the crest of a long-forgotten knight. He pulled it aside, revealing a small wooden door. Reaching towards the copy of James's key ring attached to his belt, he removed the correct key and brought it towards the lock on the door. Just then, the door to the armory smashed open. Clara quickly shrouded her face with the hood of her cloak. Colin dropped the key.

            He pointed his hand towards the entrance. "Natìlsòt," he murmured. Clara started breathing quickly and muttering under her breath. "What are we going to do what are we going to do what are we going to do!" she wheezed.

            Colin put a calming hand on her shoulder. Did you hear me cast the spell? he told her mentally.

            She froze at the mental contact but soon softened and replied with, Yes. What did it do?

            It will distract them for a short while. I learned it in one of Didacus's books...it's an interesting story, actually-

            Colin! she thought sharply. She turned towards him and glared as she continued. We have something to do here! We need to find that key so that we can escape!

            Right, right, sorry. I think I dropped it...Colin looked around. Here, he finally thought. Near this pile-

            His heart sank. It was hopeless. 

            Over there? Clara probed.

            Yes. Colin sighed softly.

            In the straw? Really, Colin? Could there have been a worse place to lose something as small as a key?

            He rolled his eyes at her, and then pointed to the small pile of straw. Will you please stop complaining and help me find it?

            She stuck her tongue out at him and relented. Fine. We do not know how long the spell will last.

            It depends on the size of the recipient. Since that was probably a guard and they are an average of-

            COLIN! 

            They started frantically pulling the straw apart. When they had almost reached the bottom of the pile, Colin had an idea. 

            Look at this spell, Clara. I cannot believe I forgot about it!

            Colin closed his eyes and said, "Noeshruht." His eyes heated up, and suddenly he could see things that were under the straw. Colin searched quickly and efficiently. In seconds, he had the key.

            When he looked back at Clara, however, her mood was not as triumphant as his was. I don't suppose you could have remembered that spell before we wasted all that time looking through each piece of straw?

            They both spun around as the door to the armory opened once again.

            Hurry! 

            I'm trying, I'm trying! 

            Indeed he was. Colin was jamming the key into the keyhole in an effort to get them out of there. Finally, when the key dropped from his sweaty hand once again, he just said, "Nanilla," and pointed at the lock. The door swung open.