Chapter 13 - Sinister Eyes

Several minutes earlier...

The clouds shimmered menacingly and crackles of lightning were laced in the dark fluff.

Morgan turned his head to watch the upcoming storm through the small window of the cell-like traveling jeep.

Rika sat hunched under his arm, watching small fluffy shadow shima-enaga birds she had animated out of her essence twitter and snuggle into the crook of her right shoulder.

Zadia practiced spinning darts of metal from her hands at Marco, who deftly whirled them right back at her with his telekinesis.

Four obsidian colored collars faceting black darkly brooded in the lantern-illuminated cell, one for each Magician. One of Rika's shima-enaga wandered too close to the collar, brushed a round feather across the inky stone and detonated with a shocked cheep. The splotch of cloudy darkness lingering in the air seeped back into Rika's pale skin.

She winced slightly as the collar grew increasingly hot before settling back into normal condition, as if warning her.
"They've activated Mode 3." Rika muttered to her friends. "My essence vanishes the moment it touches the collar."

    "There goes our hope of escaping quietly then," Marco frustratedly scraped his collar with his nails. "Zadia said that she could somehow malfunction them if they weren't on the highest level."

Zadia shrugged helplessly.
"Mode 3 has the strongest reinforcements that barricades the control chip, unlike the other two. I can't possibly wriggle my way through without alerting the Empires. I'm also not strong enough to completely destroy them. We have no chance of pulling our punches now. Roman's going to throw everything we have at Y/n."

Marco affectionately bear-hugged her, causing Zadia to squeal delightedly.
"Don't worry. It's not your fault." Morgan and Rika snickered at their friends. " 'Sides," Marco glanced at his elder brother, "you might have to do both of the things you just said, if Morgan gives you the signal."

Zadia took a deep breath, nodding.

"If the plan does not work this time, don't put the guilt of failure on yourself. And whatever happens, whatever bad things the Empires make you do because of the collars, also do not blame yourself. Do you understand?" Morgan looked pointedly at Zadia, who nodded. "Just try to zone out and keep to the most hidden corner of your mind. It helps to tone down your senses reacting to the outside world."

Zadia raised her hand in an adorable salute.
"Okay, big brother."

The affectionate scene was over when a tall shadow stalked past the cell window. Morgan instantly withdrew from the dirty glass. All four Magicians tensed, poised perfectly still. Jingles of a key being inserted into the lock of the cell's door echoed ominously around the small cell.

The door swung outwards, letting in sharp blades of light, the last stormy rays of a sun almost obscured by rain clouds. Roman Empire's lean, muscular form was silhouetted in the doorframe. The gold wreaths naturally inked into the center of his face, along with the letters SPQR, shone in the blustery light.

The Empire was fully clad in sleek-looking black armor, each individual plate outlined with glaring red. A gladius sword was sheathed at his hip and a large rectangular red shield was on his back, rounded at the edges. Roman wasn't taking any chances.

Morgan slowly climbed out of the jeep, closely followed by Rika, Marco and Zadia.

The Empires had set up a small camp on a stout, flat cliff overlooking the distant HQ base. It looked like only Roman and Nazi Germany were up and ready; the other tents in the Empires' camp had lights on inside and tall shadows moved about in them.