Twenty-Five

"S'il te plaît, sois ma femme, ma chère."

The conviction he spoke with struck Anastasia's heart.

It sounded like a vow.

"W-what does it mean?" She asked again.

Before, he said it was a fancy way of saying, I love you, but it seemed like much more.

What did it mean?

Austin hummed and rested his head on her shoulder as nerves filled him.

He took her hand and kissed it lightly.

"Please, be my wife, my dear,"

She was still.

His words took her breath away.

It sounded like everything she wanted.

But how?

She should've been afraid.

She wasn't.

They didn't have two months to be apart. They could have this.

Her heart's new desire.

"I," She whispered, unsure of what to say.

How could she respond? She knew how.

Austin shook his head and pulled away from her. "No, chère. Don't think of an answer now. It's what I want, but I know I can't do it now."

The unknown tension in her shoulders fell.

But it was still what she wanted.

"Consider it as my bid, chère. When I get what I need to give you stability and security, I'll ask again, and then," A charming smile grew on his serene face. "Then, you'll say yes, and you'll kiss me real sweet, and I'll be the happiest man,"

Always true to Austin.

Anastasia laughed softly and looked at him with those precious soft eyes.

"You've got it all figured out, huh?"

He nodded proudly and kissed her just the same.

He was hopeful more than anything to get his life together for the sake of marrying Anastasia.

"Well, chère, you ain't said no, so I take it as a early yes." He beamed happily.

She laughed. "It gives me something to look forward to," She confessed. "And I'm not afraid,"

Austin kissed her sweet temple and stroked her hand. "We thank the Lord, chère. He's got you healin real good,"

Anastasia smiled and patted his cheek fondly. "We do, Bubba. Why don't you go sit and I'll bring your soup? It's my turn to take care of you," She winked and shooed him away.

Austin left the kitchen with a fluttery feeling in his heart.

Man.

He prayed for everything to come together now, but he had some work to put in to make it happen.

God allowed him to stay. Now it was time to put down roots.

And as Anastasia ladled soup into a bowl, she felt that if she tried, she could fly.

The day started with heartache and tears.

Now, there was a rainbow shining in her heart.

It was still storming outside, but the day was brighter than she could've dreamed.

"Oh my," She said softly, as she realized the two times Austin had said those words before, he was hoping to make her his wife.

The ladle slipped from her hold as she leaned against the counter.