two

The sky fell dark sooner than I thought it would.

At least the rain subsided after hours of torrential downpour. However, now we're all drenched and because the sun has gone down, the cool winds are grim. My teeth won't stop chattering.

We wound up finding a chain-link fence that stands about eight feet tall. We're not sure what's beyond the fence since our flashlights won't throw light far enough to see anything other than leaves and twigs. But Professor Kitt insists there has to be a house or something on the other side.

At this point, we're so desperate. It's cold and we're hungry, not to mention, we have barely any supplies. We don't even know what time it is.

I feel angry, angry at Professor Kitt for bringing us out here and getting us lost while so ill-prepared for a mistake like this, and angry at myself for agreeing to do something like this. Maybe he felt confident after years and years of completing this field trip scot-free. I know accidents happen but I can't help it.

"Here's what we'll do," says Professor Kitt. Our flashlights are shining on him, so he squints his eyes and takes a step backwards. "I'll go over the fence and see if there's anyone there. If there is, I'll talk to them and explain everything, then come back and get you guys."

"What if you don't come back?" One student, Joe, asks. Then, he shakes his head. "That's a stupid idea. We should come with you."

Professor Kitt looks down at the ground in thought, his long fingers reaching up to rub his forehead.

Zoe squeezes my hand. We've been holding each other's hands as tightly as possible. I look over at her and her face is only partially lit up. She gives me a weak smile, her lips tight, while I force a smile back. At least I have her.

"We'll be out here all night if I don't take the chance," Professor Kitt says, "I'd rather you guys stay here together. I don't want anyone to get hurt."

Professor Kitt takes his backpack off his shoulder and unexpectedly pushes it into Declan's hands. He seems to favor Declan for some reason, perhaps because he's the only one who ever seems to show interest in what Professor Kitt drones on about in class.

"Take this just in case. There're supplies in it."

We're all silent as Professor Kitt throws his flashlight up and over the fence. He then hooks his fingers into the slots and pushes himself up. He grunts a bit, stopping and taking a few deep breaths after each movement. When he finally jumps down to the other side, he looks through the fence at us and gives us all a nod. "I'll be right back. Don't move unless you need to. There's bear spray in the backpack."

Then, he bends down to pick his flashlight up off the ground and walks off.

I'm surprised at how nimbly he just hopped a fence. I almost start laughing, imagining that Professor Kitt was some sort of delinquent when he was younger and so he became well-versed in hopping fences. Reality steps in again and nearly takes my breath away - we're trapped in a dark forest right now, and our teacher is about to potentially risk his life finding out what's on the other side of a shady fence. What will we do if he doesn't return?

I remember reading about a plane crash in the library. A rugby team ended up stranded in the wilderness and they had to resort to cannibalism. I start to feel dizzy so I lean against the fence.

"If he doesn't come back, we're so fucked," Joe says. He slides his back down the fence and sits on the ground, his head in his hands.

Another student, I'm not sure of his name, reaches out to take the backpack from Declan. Declan pulls it away from him.