11

11 - To Light A Match

ZARA

Pain was the harsh reminder of our undeniable presence in this world, our vulnerability laid bare amid the turmoil. Pain was the embodiment of tragedy, a cruel byproduct of chaos that demanded we confront our limits.

And it coursed through me.

The burning sensation spread through me like a wildfire, every inch of my body aching as I slowly emerged from my slumber. My eyes squinted at the harsh brightness of the room and my ears registered the steady hum of the machines beside me before my vision did. Glancing down, I noticed tubes snaking around my bruised arms.

I blinked once, twice, as I tried to get used to my surroundings and coming to the realization that I was in a hospital bed. The thought made me frown. I never liked doctors or hospitals or doctors, who seemed more content with providing complications than solutions.

I reached for the IV tubes, wanting to yank them out, when a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Don't remove that,"

My head snapped in the direction and shock radiated through me as I saw the Alpha, my mate, seated by the door, idly fiddling with his phone. He wasn't looking at me when he said it, his brows furrowed as his gaze was firmly fixed on the device.

I had a few choice words for Mr Alpha but the strength to voice them now didn't come. Instead, I settled for a harsh glare.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I demanded.

"Well, when a mate learns that their other half is severely injured, they tend to come rushing," he replied casually.

"You'll also find that locking up said mate won't win you brownie points either," I winced as I moved slightly, trying to get comfortable on the stiff bedding. Another reason to hate hospitals - poor choices in sleep material.

He said nothing else. Rising, he made a move to the door and called someone over.

"Yes, she's awake now," he said as he stepped back into the room. His eyes met my own briefly before he folded his arms and looked at the doctor.

"You're a doctor?" I asked incredulously.

The young girl laughed melodiously, a clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other. Her short curly honey colored hair swayed with her laugh and her green eyes showed her humor just as much as the bright white smile she wore.

"No, no," she said, "I'm just part time here trying to save for college. I'm Maya Collins. It's great to finally see you're finally awake! You gave Alpha Haden quite a scare. How are you feeling?"

At the mention of Haden's concern, my gaze shifted to him, momentarily surprised that the Big Bad Alpha cared what happened to me. If I wasn't so against the idea of Alphas, I would've warmed at the thought of his concern. Yet, I knew his facade had an expiration date - it always would. And let's not forget the blood that stained his hands; the blood of my friends whose lives he ended without a second thought. He was a monster.

Oh, admit it, you've softened a little bit, my wolf insisted.

"I... I'm feeling like I got run over by a train," I admitted to the doctor as my eyes shifted back to her. It was the truth. Weakness gripped me, my throat was parched, and this room was blinding.

"Yes, I can only imagine. The bruises you sustained were quite extensive. You walked in with three broken ribs, bruising on your forearms, legs, and stomach, and there's the matter of the swelling on the back of your head," the nurse reported.