59

59 - To Mend Burning Bridges

HADEN

       As the sun hit the clear blue sky, casting a blinding glow over the clearing where the pack had gathered, I felt a sense of relief and pride wash over me. This was finally over. I stood at the center of the stage, eyes darting to the masses before me as they mumbled amongst themselves.

"Members of Triton," my voice echoed through the gathering, firm and resolute. "Along with the members of our allies here today, it's finally over." I waited until their shrieks and cheers ended before I continued, "Today, we stand united, stronger than ever before. Our enemies have been defeated and we can rest easier tonight."

A ripple of murmurs and nods spread through the crowd, and I felt the pride and relief pulse through the pack bond. I know we had faced countless challenges, endured unimaginable hardships, but through it all, it just proved that we could accomplish anything.

"Our victory today is a testament to the courage and resilience of each and every one of you! Without your help, our pack would have been lost to the likes of the Rogue King, and I just want to say thank you," I continued, my gaze sweeping across the assembled wolves. "Together, we put the fear in them, kicked ass, and sent those rogues to their deaths. No one could have done that but all of us – united together."

I let the words hang in the air briefly before I continued, nodding at the sense of hope and unity amongst them. For the first time in what felt like ages, I could finally see a bright future for the pack and all our allies.

"So let us celebrate this victory proudly – we've earned it," I declared, a smile spreading across my face.

With a chorus of howls that echoed through the clearing, I breathed out a grateful chuckle and walked away from the microphone, immediately seeing Zara and picking her up for a little spin.

"Haden!" she squealed.

"What?" I grinned at her once I put her back on her feet. "I'm in a good mood. But before we do celebrate, I need to talk to Caine and see what he... why are you making that face?" I switched topics, seeing her expression change.

"Uh, talking with Caine is going to be a bit difficult," she started, "given he doesn't have a head anymore."

"Excuse me?"

"Greyson..."

I raised a brow. "Greyson did what?"

"They brought Caine over to us after you left with the... Guardians? Yeah, I think that's what you called them. Anyway, when they brought him over, Caine was spouting a lot of nonsense, trying to connect Greyson and me to the reason why the Rogue King was trying to dismantle the packs. He started talking about Greyson's brother and... well, Greyson lost it."

James, where the hell is Greyson? I growled through the mind-link.

No idea princess, but I can go look if you ask nicely, James smartly responded.

Get him then get to my office now, I demanded.

"We're going to my office to discuss this," I told Zara, sliding my arm around her waist and pulling her forward with me.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

My question hit Greyson in the face as soon as he walked through the door. Harley and Alex followed him in, then James moved to close the door.

"Why the hell are you putting it on me?" Greyon rebutted.

"Because you fucking killed him! What the hell do you mean why am I putting it on you?"