Chapter 19 (Part 3)

Silas widened his stance. "Well, you know what they say about desperate situations. They leave you with little choice."

"Hmm, I remember when you wouldn't have chosen anyone but me," the woman, Tia, said. She shifted her weight, popping her hip as she pulled her gloves off.

My brows rose a fraction in surprise. Was she implying what I thought she was-

"We're all young fools at some point."

She let out a sigh. Shaking her head, she reached for her phone. "Why are you here, Silas?"

He didn't answer her as she typed on the device that had my fingers twitching at the thought of peacefully scrolling time away on my shitty one that was long gone rather than being here. I missed that.

And vodka.

Maybe once we had new glamours and could take a moment to breathe, we could do it while drinking something stronger than mead. I could use a stiff drink. Or three.

Silas shifted his attention to the thin boy who stood off to the side. He was taking in their exchange with as much interest as I was.

"Get out," he snapped.

The boy flinched, but he didn't move. "You good here, Tia?"

"Yeah, Kee, you can go."

He tucked his chin to his chest in a nod before making his way towards us. Silas didn't move, but I pressed into the door to give him enough space to brush by untouched.

Tia clicked her tongue as he left. "That was rude," she remarked, returning her phone to the workbench. "What happened to your manners? You used to be so kind and polite. "

My hand rose to cover the laugh that couldn't help but escape at her words. Silas? Kind and polite? She must be mistaking him for someone else.

The incredulity curling my lips stilled at the faint scent that clung to my hand. The dense cake he had handed me to eat atop Garvin when my stomach had last sounded had left the sweet smell of sugar on my skin.

Although he wasn't polite, it was kind that he fed me.

He had been consistent throughout the last few days. Every single meal I had was courtesy of him and his coin bag. I never even had to mention that I was hungry. He wordlessly answered my stomach's call before I needed to.

The noise that my hand didn't manage to stifle drew Tia's attention.

She stepped to the side, tilting her head to try and get a look at me. "Why, hello there. Who might you be?" A curious spark flashed in her eyes when they caught mine.

The mischievous smile she wore turned into a scowl when Silas shifted to block her efforts to get a better look.

"That's irrelevant."

"Once again, rude."

I reached up to check that my hair was covering my ears. I had been diligently hiding them under the dark stands ever since Rowan had caught sight of them. I was afraid someone else would too, especially now when staying hidden was important. There have been moments since when I found myself rushing to undo my actions whenever I unconsciously tucked my hair behind my ear.

Lowering my hood, I stepped to the side and out from behind the cover of Silas's body. "Hi, I'm Greysi," I blurted out awkwardly, to answer her question.

The curiosity in her eyes burned brighter as they took me in. There was something else in them too, but I couldn't identify what it was.

I shrunk into my shoulders when I felt the weight of Silas's disapproving glare.