20

20 - Too Close To The Fire

HADEN

As I watched Zara leave the room, my last words hanging in the air, the sexual tension crackling like fireworks, I was left in a state of turmoil. Confusion, anger, and desire swirled within me, all ignited by the unexpected kiss we had shared.

There was no stopping the bond now. She was mine and mine alone, and I couldn't hold myself back anymore. An Alpha needed his mate, naturally, but I needed her more.

When I came back from the forest and didn't find her, I thought I was going to lose my mind. This woman, this rogue, had me by the balls and she didn't even know it.

Let go of the fact that she's rogue, my wolf complained.

Yeah, I would, I thought as I ran a hand down my face. I think I would have to. This connection between us was far more important than the current status she had. If everything goes well, she would be the Luna of this pack and she would wear my mark with pride.

Or with reluctance, I thought with a smirk as the image of the fiery woman invaded my mind. She was stubborn, hard-headed, and argumentative but she was mine.

Glancing at the clock, I saw it was twenty-two minutes past one and I tried to clear my head as I sat behind the desk by the window. Eyeing the maps below, I frowned at the sight of the packs that had been wiped out by the madman calling himself the Rogue King.

He managed to wipe out five packs now, all in the Northern territories, and I couldn't help but think of the traditions and cultures that would be wiped away with it. He wiped out all but two and the logic of Conner seemed more plausible. There had to be a reason, I thought looking down at the territory called Saros Shadows, why they weren't trampled over as well.

I tried to focus on the task at hand, sorting through the maps and research Conner had left behind from Abigale, but the night dragged on and my thoughts kept circling back to that kiss. Would she accept the bond? If I felt this way about it, did she as well? On the date, there seemed to have been walls crumbling, or at least cracking, before we got interrupted by the rogues. Would she be willing to make this work if I was? The answers eluded me, and I found myself pushing the papers aside and walking over to the couch, my thoughts stringing me along as I slipped into a comfortable position. It would be tomorrow's problem, I decided with a yawn escaping my lips then replaced with a small smile, but I was positive that this would work.

Hours later, I woke up with a start, disoriented and bleary-eyed. Stumbling out of my office, I made my way to the living room, still groggy.

"Good morning Alpha," the women in the kitchen greeted pleasantly as I walked by and I nodded with a warm smile on my face.

"Good morning ladies, smells good," I added, going to the fridge for a bottle of orange juice and making my way towards the living room and settling on the couch. The morning sun streamed through the curtains and I was about to pick up the TV remote when I heard tumbling at the front door followed by a curse. My brows furrowed, glancing at the time, knowing not many would be up at this hour on a Saturday. As I set my orange juice on the coffee table and stood, a small wave of shock ran through me as I noticed Natalia coming up the three steps to the living room, a huge relieved smile on her face. Her scent hit me as she walked through the door, but I was too dazed to react immediately.

Oh shit.

"Haden!" she squealed and ran towards me, embracing me in a hug. I was too stunned to hug her back, my thoughts racing to the woman upstairs in my bed. With everything going on, I completely forgot she was coming today.