C H A P T E R : E I G H T

For over a week, Aleyah's only friendly interactions were with August and Madam Celia (the kindly senior next door)

For over a week, Aleyah's only friendly interactions were with August and Madam Celia (the kindly senior next door). After the Monday of August's birthday, she decided that she would not be involved with the Bellingham boy. It took some serious consideration that involved the weighing of pros and cons and imagining herself in various situations where her financial status would prove to be a struggle if she was to date the young star.

Ultimately, the cons overpowered the pros resulting in Aleyah ignoring all the texts she received from the boy. The girl knew that she was falling into a repetitive cycle, going back and forth with what she wanted from Jude but she couldn't help it. There were times she felt that the boy wouldn't care about whether or not she had money, that he genuinely would like to get to know her and push aside any beliefs that she'd use him for money.

But then she'd go online and see him in expensive clubs where a single bottle of alcohol was worth twice what she earned in a month. On private yachts and planes surrounded by beautiful girls of equal statuses. Aleyah would see his face on the back of buses and taxis on her way to scourge for employment so that she could keep a roof over her head.

And that's when reality began to hit. When her financial insecurity whispered that she wasn't good enough for him. Reminding her of the circumstances of the world in which she lived. It was not fair, Aleyah thought. But there was nothing she could do.

So when another message from the boy appeared, she had to make herself remember that they may have been on the same planet, but they were from completely different worlds. And that reminder was more than enough to stop her urge to reply. He would find someone else to bother with his affections eventually.

...

Jude was confused.

He couldn't wrap his head around what he did to have made Aleyah ignore him. In his eyes, their last interaction had gone well and she was definitely reciprocating his flirty energy. But as he stared at his latest text, which she had graciously left on seen, again, he began to question it.

He had originally thought that he was being a bit overbearing with his intrusion on August's birthday. So he decided to stay away from the Royal Crest for the week, resisting his massive urge to get a glance at the girl he was so enamored by.  Jude instead sent a text, checking up on her and when it went ignored, he forwarded a couple more messages throughout the week. And when they all went without a response, he was at a loss for what to do.

He thought of letting her be multiple times, she clearly showed more disinterest than interest so it would be easier for them both if he'd just let the situation go. But for some reason, Jude couldn't do it.

It was strange. He felt some sort of pull towards her, as though there was an invisible string constantly tugging him in her direction, whether that was in the form of his thoughts, sent and unsent text messages or even being with her in the physical sense.