4 • Falloir

Falloir (verb) necessary, required

This woman had no idea who she was or what she was asking me to do. And neither did Marius. Thankfully.

Death would be the easier option, but my brother was right. It was my responsibility to lead the army and push our lands westward.

Even if I had to overcome the problem that she presented.

A year would go by in a blink, and if I kept her at arms distance, as much as it would pain me, I could get through this and move on with my life.

The pull of a mate bond couldn't be as strong as my free will.

I forced myself not to look at her when I said, "Fine. I'll do it."

"Splendid," Marius replied with a clap of his hands. "Now, take..." he twirled his finger in the air, "what is your name, dear?"

"Claire. Claire Donadieu."

Hearing the sound of her name was like magick. There was no other way to describe it. Forever, my attention would be attuned to the sound of it. My senses sharpened whenever it was spoken.

My desire to protect her absolute until the day she died.

I closed my eyes and drew in a steadying breath. I didn't want this. I didn't want to be fated to anyone. I should be able to choose my mate, not have her selected for me by some mystical force.

Had I known when I saw her across the ballroom that the intense need to speak with her was the pull of a mate bond, I would've run instead of giving the bloodstone time to recognize our connection.

When I opened my eyes, I found Marius dabbing the dried blood from Claire's neck with a damp towel. Cleaning the worst of the mess that choker had made. He tossed the rag on the floor and captured her hand in his, holding it as he escorted her to where I stood.

I had to swallow a growl at the sight of him touching her. Even though I loved my brother well, a vision of tearing his arm from the socket and beating him with it flitted through my mind.

My fingers tensed, and adrenaline coursed through my limbs.

I had to keep this new protective desire in check. If Marius discovered the truth, I'd be forced to give up my campaign in the west and made to live here in the capital. Pandering to courtiers and listening to petty disputes. 

Which was the last thing I wanted.

My brother offered me Claire's hand with a grin. I merely glared at him.

Marius sighed in frustration and rolled his eyes. "Bastien, it's time to take Miss Donadieu to the dais, claim her as tradition demands, and put this whole mess behind us."

Claim her. Yes. That's exactly what I wanted to do. To claim her as mine. To make us one body. One breath. The pull was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. It was as strong as gravity holding my feet to the ground.