1. missed target

POPPY ELLISON

Two years later

I know my target.

Rexx has been planning this one for weeks.

Another rich man with secrets. Secrets that can be used against him to give Rexx unlimited power and the ability to take what he wants. He's obsessed with money, he wants to be as wealthy as possible.

He might as well have a degree in blackmail, he's a sick twisted man.

He gets a thrill off taking hard earned cash from men who he believes don't deserve it.

Rexx doesn't deserve it either. He deserves a slow painful death for everything he has done to me. I've planned his murder multiple times but it's nearly impossible for me to act upon it, especially with his men are constantly loitering around.

Ever since my attempted escape two years ago. I refused to do it again.

It's haunted me ever since and left me with scars that I'll never be able to get rid of.

I tug down my cobalt dress, making sure that it covers my knees. I've been hiding in the club toilets for the last ten minutes. I know what Christopher Russo looks like, Rexx gave me all the information I needed before I arrived.

If I don't come home with any dirt on the man, I'm going to be punished.

So I have to play this right. Rexx is the last person whose bad side I want to get on and that is based on his mood from this morning. Something pissed him off and I know I have to do as I say otherwise I'll only add to the problem.

I roll my lips together, the gloss shining against the reflection in the mirror. It's now or never.

My heels click against the floor as I exit the bathroom and walk back inside to the Dark Suite, pulling my long red hair over my shoulder. I scan the room as I walk to the VIP section, Rexx put me on the guest list somehow and it makes this a thousand times easier.

Christopher will only be in the VIP section, away from the drunk clubbers below.

I suck down a breath and approach the bar and take a glass of champagne from one of the trays that are floating around. I'm desperate for some liquid courage, even though I've been doing this for years. It never gets easier.

When I press the glass to my lips, I take a sip and nod to myself. It's fine, you can do this.

Men glance my way as I float through the room, smiling as I pass but keeping my eyes out for the man I need. He might not be here yet but that gives me a chance to think through how I'm going to approach, what I'm going to say.

Smile and flirt. That's what Rexx said. Women are good at seducing men with their eyes and apparently red-headed women are desired, not that I believe him but I suppose it's worked in my favour previously.

As I nurse my drink and wait at the bannister that overlooks the dance floor of the club, people slowly filter inside. Most of them having the time of their lives.

I miss my nights with Alexia. When she's here, it's better but I haven't seen her in a little while. She's the first girl friend I've made since my life's been signed away to Rexx. I enjoyed her company when she saved me after a terrible night.

She allowed me to experience a tiny portion of my life I once had.

But she hasn't been here in weeks.