ii ✶ lo mein

𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐌𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 took my kid sister and I out to dinner since our father was working late. We were sat behind a mother and son, and I internally face-palmed when I saw who it was.

He really was everywhere.

I could only hope that my mother didn't recognize his mother, or worse, him.

I looked at the menu as I listened in on their conversation. It was rude, yeah, but I couldn't help it. I was naturally a nosy person.

Daniel's mother was talking about a program for her to be trained as a manager. It was boring, so I didn't really pay attention. But my ears perked up when I heard his mother ask, "And the girl situation?"

I wondered if he'd tell his mother about Ali. I wanted to know what he'd say about her.

"It's okay," Daniel replied.

"Just okay?" his mother repeated. "To me, it looks like the whole world turned blonde!"

I internally rolled my eyes. Daniel did have a thing for blondes, and I supposed I was no exception.

"You got your eye on anybody?" Daniel's mom asked, snapping me back to reality.

Daniel must have put on a revealing expression, because his mom said, "Oh! Cute?"

"Not cute," Daniel said. "I mean, she's beyond cute."

"But she's blonde, right?" his mom asked.

"She's got blonde hair."

That confirmed it for me - he was talking about Ali.

"Is she as pretty as Judy?" Daniel's mom asked, and I listened intently.

"She buries Judy in a second," Daniel replied, and my heart sank. Daniel had always told me how pretty he thought I was, and to think my best friend buried my attractiveness was a blow to my self esteem. Of course, Ali was pretty, but I didn't think Daniel would go so far as to compare the two of us.

"She buries Judy?" his mom repeated incredulously. "Listen, tell me about it later. I love you. Careful how you ride home." She walked off, leaving Daniel alone. I thought it was the end of it, but I was wrong.

"Smile, she's got an excellent smile," Daniel mumbled to himself. "She's really smart. I'd say she's beautiful. I think she's beautiful. I think she's something else. She's hot, definitely hot."

"Hey, Mom, I have to go to the bathroom," I said. "If the waitress comes by, I want the lo mein." I got up and walked past Daniel's table to go to the bathroom. I locked myself in a stall. I couldn't cry, because then my mom would know, and ask me why, and I didn't feel like having that conversation with her, especially with my sister and Daniel within earshot.

I let out a few shaky breaths, trying to calm myself.

So what if he thinks Ali's prettier? a little voice told me. You've been over for months. I thought you were over him.

But another voice chimed in. Were you ever really over him, though?

Yes, the first voice argued.

But didn't you feel them too? The butterflies when you saw Daniel this morning?

I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the thoughts. Daniel is your ex-boyfriend for a reason, I reminded myself. I left the stall and glanced at myself in the mirror before returning to the table.

I made eye contact with Daniel as I walked by, and his expression read, Oh shit, as I looked away and sat down behind him again.

"The waitress came by, so I ordered you the lo mein," my mother said as I sat down.

"Thanks," I replied as the waitress walked over with our food.

"That was fast," my mother mumbled as she thanked the waitress.

After we'd finished and paid, we left. I saw a clothing store next to the restaurant.

"Please, Mom, can I check it out? I can walk home afterwards," I pleaded.

"Alright, fine. Don't look for too long. It gets dangerous when it's dark," she relented.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed as I went into the store and my mother and sister got into the car.

After a while, I noticed the sun was setting, so I left the store and began the walk home.

I was walking along a dirt road when a group of boys on motorcycles came up behind me. I moved aside, and they passed me, surrouding the boy that was riding his bike in front of me.

"Looking for a shortcut back to Newark?" one of them called, and I first I thought he was talking to me. But then I realized he was talking to the boy. Before I could make out who it was, another boy laughed.

"He wants to learn karate!" he cried.

"Well, here's your first lesson: learn how to take a fall!" the first boy said as he moved closer to the side of the road, causing the boy to be run off the road.

"Don't think about the pain!" the second boy yelled after him as the boy tumbled down the hillside.

Before I knew what I was doing, I ran down the hill to the boy.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I reached the boy. I got a good look at his face, and I internally screamed in frustration.

Why was it always him?!

"Hmm?" Daniel asked, opening his eyes. His face went slightly pale at the sight of my face. "Judy?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said at the restaurant, I know you heard," he said, sitting up. "I didn't really mean it like that."

I shrugged. "It's fine, I guess. You're allowed to think Ali's prettier than me."

"I know," Daniel sighed. "But the way I said it wasn't very nice at all. She doesn't bury you. She's just... slightly prettier."

I let out a soft laugh. "Anyway, are you sure you're okay?"

Daniel stood up, wincing slightly. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"So who were those boys?" I asked.

"Johnny Lawrence and his little gang. They hate me because-"

"Because you like Ali," I finished. "Johnny's such a dick. They broke up, like, a month ago, and he's been following her around all summer, trying to get her back." I shook my head. "It's pathetic."

Daniel snorted. "He sure is."

"Anyway, I guess I'll be seeing you," I said, helping Daniel pull his bike up the hill.

"I guess so," he echoed as we waved at each other.

I walked home, thinking about what had just happened. Daniel and I had a one-on-one conversation for the first time in months, and it hadn't been awkward or uncomfortable.

How strange was that?