Chapter 1.4 - Entrance Ceremony

As the final student wrapped up their introduction, Hirata smoothly transitioned the class's focus toward the impending Entrance Ceremony. With only about 20 minutes left before the ceremony, he suggested, "Let's head to the gymnasium together."

Nods of agreement rippled through the classroom. Hirata, stepping into the role of an unofficial leader, effortlessly guided the class with a calm efficiency. 

But before setting off, Hirata scanned the room with a meticulous eye, ensuring everyone was prepared. He offered reminders to a few students who seemed to forget essential items in their excitement. 

"Don't forget your handbook," he reminded one student, his tone gentle yet firm. To another, he offered a helpful, "Karuizawa-san, your phone's on your desk."

He then gently ushered the class into orderly lines, counting heads to ensure no one was left behind.

Satisfied that everyone was accounted for, Hirata motioned towards the door with a confident nod. "Alright, let's go. We don't want to be late," he announced.

As the class exited together, a murmur of light-hearted complaints and banter filled the air.

"Why's the gym so far anyway? A whole ten-minute walk just to sit down again," a girl named Nishimura grumbled, her eyes fixed on her phone's maps app, which showed the 650-meter distance to the gym.

"It's just a short walk, Nishimura-san. Think of it as a warm-up exercise," the girl besides her replied, stifling a giggle.

Nishimura sighed. "I guess... but still, a bit closer would've been nice," she lamented.

Ayanokouji, trailing slightly behind the pair, couldn't help but find their exchange amusing. The walk to the gymnasium was indeed a fair distance, but it was hardly going to tire anyone out. 

The light physical activity could even be refreshing, he thought. 

After all, the lush greenery of ANHS did provide quite the relaxing backdrop.

Lost in thought, Ayanokouji was brought back to the moment when Hirata approached him, beckoning him with a wave.

"Ayanokouji-kun," Hirata called out gently.

Slightly surprised at the call, Ayanokouji met Hirata halfway. 

"Is something the matter?" he asked.

Hirata's smile was disarming. "Not at all. But I thought you might want to join me up front. It's a good chance to chat and get to know each other a bit. Besides, it might help to have a familiar face nearby as we head to the gymnasium."

With Ayanokouji's earlier admittance that this was his first time in a formal school setting, Hirata wanted to help him feel more comfortable.

Understanding Hirata's intention, Ayanokouji nodded and quickened his pace to join him at the front of the line. 

"Thanks, Hirata," he responded, appreciating the gesture.

Hirata returned his gratitude with a smile. "No need to thank me. I'm just looking out for a friend," he said, patting Ayanokouji on the back.

"Friend, huh? I guess it is actually possible to make one almost immediately. Even for me," Ayanokouji thought to himself.

Nearby, Karuizawa, flanked by Matsushita and Mori, watched the exchange with keen interest. 

"He looks surprised," Karuizawa's voice piped up, laced with amusement. "Guess he's not used to having friends."

'Did she not listen to my introduction earlier?' Ayanokouji thought.