The Serial (Oxford) Comma

I know, I know, I know. This is another topic I swore I wouldn't touch. But, I receive messages or comments about it EVERY SINGLE DAY. So... here it is.

If you are writing FICTION, the rule is that you put a comma before 'and' in a series. This is not my rule; this is the rule of the Chicago Manual of Style and Elements of Style.

The colors of the American flag are red, white, and blue.

My favorite foods are fajitas, cookie dough, and grits.

They were staunch Republicans, successful small business owners, and devout Southern Baptists.

Her maroon skirt suit was a size too big, six inches too long, and ten years too old.

• If you are writing an academic paper, then you might follow MLA Style (Modern Language Association). MLA also supports the serial comma.

• If you are into journalism, then you likely follow AP Style (Associated Press). AP Style does not use the serial comma.

NOW THAT I'VE SAID ALL THAT, LET ME THROW ANOTHER WRENCH INTO THIS ARGUMENT...

Guess who doesn't use the Oxford Comma anymore?
Oxford. :)

This is taken straight from the latest edition of the Oxford Style Guide:

"...there is no comma between the penultimate item in a list and 'and'/'or', unless required to prevent ambiguity – this is sometimes referred to as the 'Oxford comma'. However, always insert a comma in this position if it would help prevent confusion."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/media_wysiwyg/University%20of%20Oxford%20Style%20Guide.pdf

(Thanks julietlyons for the international discussion!)

So... the bottom line here is: CONSULT THE STYLE GUIDE THAT FITS WHAT YOU ARE WRITING AND BE CONSISTENT. And realize that your editor someday may insist on changing it.

*************