9. Alea jacta est

Once again Mary found herself being correct. Yet, it did nothing to make her feel better in the current situation. She stood by the longhouse, cradling a baby boy hidden in a bundle of blankets, and watched as a sword was driven into crying Freydis's chest. It was horrifying to see, but not the first execution Mary had witnessed. After all, she was a nun and grew up in England during period of military raids and nobility disputes.

When Baldur was born Ivar was in the room and even held the child first. But all it took was one glance at the baby and he handed him immediatly to Mary. The boy had split lip, and quite severe one- running all the way through his palate.

It was Mary's demand to let Freydis hold the baby at least once. Ivar watched the scene with screwed face, then barked at Mary to take the baby back and take Freydis into the cell.

Mary was already aware of the fact that vikings didn't feel particularly sorry for disabled children, Ivar's father planning to leave him in the woods being the prime example, so she hadn't taken her eyes off the baby not even for a moment. She had been granted a private room in the longhouse where she slept with Baldur, and at night, Mary would tie a bell to her door, so it would announce if anyone tried to enter the room.

Ivar and Mary would argue almost every day. Just like currently: Mary was rocking crying Baldur, while Ivar stopped walking past her bedroom and leaned on his crutch.

"Let me take care of this, once and for all, you foolish woman," he said.

Mary moved the baby to the opposite shoulder. "He's not a burden to you," she said.

Her voice was was shaky due to her rocking the child. Ivar thought it was very odd to see a nun craddling a child. He tried not to dwell on a thought that he saw not simply a nun, but a woman named Mary, holding a child.

"He's weak," he continued. "He can't even nurse properly."

"Then he will die when God claims him," Mary said dismissively and slammed the door in his face.

Limping away briskly Ivar had a thought that Mary had likely baptised the child in secret. He grew even more irritated at the idea, but soon got occupied with other issues- Lagertha's forces might strike Kattegat gain, and king Harald was not happy with Ivar either. Both of them posed a threat to the village, and he had to meet his advisors and decide how to defend Kattegat.

 Both of them posed a threat to the village, and he had to meet his advisors and decide how to defend Kattegat

***

Ivar returned to his chambers after a long day, irritated as usual, and slumped on the bed. He threw his tunic and shirt unceremoniously onto the floor, and went to remove his braces, fumbling with clasps.

Mary obediently went after him, picking up his discarded clothes, then knelt by Ivar's side and gently pushed his hands away. As she worked diligently, Ivar's irritation got the better of him.