↳ 𝐜𝐡 𝟏;; 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 ༉‧₊˚

"Lily! Your freak friends are here!" Petunia Evans yelled, wearing a mask as if their "freakishness" was contagious. She had clearly hoped that the visitor was her walrus of a boyfriend Vernon Dursley, from the disappointment in her eyes. Marlene McKinnon, Alice Prewett and Dorcas Meadowes stood in the doorway, watching their best friend's anti-magic sister.

"They're not freaks, Petunia!" Lily Evans snapped, dragging her trunk down the stairs. Alice quickly rushed up to help her. Lily's cat Cali watched them idly, slowly walking down the stairs in front of them with the air of a princess.

Petunia rolled her eyes, stalking away. "Be careful, Petunia!" Dorcas couldn't help calling. "You insult us or Lily one more time, we'll curse you!" She did what was her impression of a witch's cackle, drawing her wand. Petunia shrieked, fleeing up the stairs. Marlene cracked up, and Alice smiled mildly. 

"Did you have to do that, Dora?" Lily asked. "She already hates me." 

Dorcas shrugged, as they walked out of the Evans house, towards the street where Mr and Mrs McKinnon was. "She's so terrible, Lily. Why do you even bother putting up with her?" she complained.

"She's my sister. She was once my best friend," Lily explained quietly. "I don't want an enemy for a sister." It then became awkward and tense, until they reached the McKinnons. Mrs McKinnon looked just like her daughter, with gorgeous blonde hair and blue eyes. But Marlene's bright, sunny personality was entirely her dad's. Lily hugged the McKinnons. "Thanks for letting me stay at your place for the week," she thanked. Although she was reluctant to leave her parents, she would pay to escape the negative vibes Petunia gave off. Even if it was just for a week. 

"No problem," Mr McKinnon said warmly, a beam on his face. "Any friend of Marls' is a friend of ours." Lily smiled.

They then Apparated to the McKinnons' house. It was a beautiful two-storey brownstone, in a field of wildflowers with a small lake near it. Living in such a lovely environment must have made Marlene into the optimistic person she was. Lily set her things in the guest room she'd be staying in, and went to Marlene's room for a chat. It had been a lonely summer, so she wanted to spend some time with her best friends.

Dorcas and Alice sat on armchairs aroung the bed Marlene was lounging on. Cali made herself comfortable on Alice's lap, and purred softly when Alice stroked her fur. "I think Cali likes Ali more than you, Lils," Marlene joked. 

"Too bad for Cali, I'm a rabbit person. But cats are fine too."

"So, Alice. What's on between you and Longbottom?" Dorcas asked with an eyebrow arch. Alice widened her eyes, her cheeks tinging with pink.

"Frank? We're friends!" The pace of her words were steadily increasing, as she made vague hand gestures for no apparent reason. "Yeah! We're great friends. Great friends," she babbled. "Nothing more than that, Dora. Don't let your imagination get the better of you." Marlene, Dorcas and Lily exchanged a knowing look. "Hey! Don't look at each other like that!"