~11~

Saylor and Finnick stepped off the train and started to walk home. And the peacekeepers followed behind them.

As they were walking home Saylor noticed everyone staring at her. Why are they all staring at me? Saylor looks around and sees a few people pointing at her.
Then she sees a lady off to the side She immediately recognizes her it is River's mom. She stops walking.
She probably hates me... she has every reason to. Saylor thinks. She is overwhelmed with guilt when she sees his mom. But she wanted to fulfill River's wish before he died. She goes over to her and the lady seems surprised
"Hi... Your Rivers mom right?" The lady nods "Um... I know you probably don't want to see me... but River wanted me to tell you that he loves you. And that he is sorry for leaving you alone. And I wanted to say I'm sorry and that if I could I would go back and-" The lady cuts her off and hugs her.
Saylor is shocked but she hugs the lady back. Why is she not cussing me out? Why is she hugging me? I killed her son."You should hate me... why are you being so kind to me?" Saylor asks.

The lady pulls away and looks her in the eye. "Sweetie, you did what you had to, to survive. I saw the way you and River became friends. I know even if you two were the last ones. You would still be the victor. River wouldn't have it any other way." She consoled the girl.

"Don't blame yourself for his death... you weren't the one who stuck a blade through my baby's chest... I... I-" The lady spoke trying not to cry. "I should get going..."Saylor hugs her one last time. "I am truly sorry... River will forever be missed." She said then went back over to Finnick.
"Saylor..." Finnick said with sympathy. "Let's go home, shall we?" She said ignoring him. She didn't want his sympathy.

"You did what you had to, to survive" Those words were stuck in Saylors's head.
Killing other teenagers just so I would land on top. Is doing what I had to, to survive?
Would people blame me if I was a career? Or because I didn't choose to go they don't blame me.
No one in that arena deserved to die. not even the careers. Sure it was awful that they thought it was a game and not real life. But it's what they were trained to think like.

"Sayy?... Saylor?" Finnick waved his hand in front of her face, trying to get her attention. Saylor came back to reality when she saw her brother's hand in her face.

"Did you say something?" She was in her head and didn't hear what he said. "Yeah, I said we are here." Saylor takes in her surroundings and sees that they're at their front door. She also notices that the peacekeepers are not following them anymore.

"Oh... sorry I was zoned out. Where are the peacekeepers?" Finnick got his keys out and opened the door. " I don't know, they stopped following us after a while. They probably went back to peacekeeper headquarters." He joked, As soon as he opened the door Saylor ran upstairs and jumped on her bed. "Oh, how I have missed you."

Saylor laid on her bed for a while, then got bored. She wanted to go to the beach. She missed the ocean a lot while she was gone. Saylor got up and went to ask Finnick if he wanted to go with her. She was walking to his room when she heard quiet arguing in their office. Is someone here? The other person sounds like a man. Maybe I should just ask him later. As she was walking back to her room the office door opened and President Snow walked out.

"Oh, Ms.Odair... oh lovely to see you. I was just about to come find you." He said with a smile. Saylor looks at Finnick and she can see that he's upset, and even looks angry "I can help you with something?" she asks the President wondering what he wants but is trying to be polite. "Actually yes... can we have a chat?" Saylor nods and then walks into the office. Finnick doesn't even look at her. "Finnick, I think it would be best if Saylor and I had this chat alone."
OK, what is going on? Saylor thought.

Finnick left the room leaving Saylor and President Snow. Why did Finnick look so Angry and sad?... I have never seen him like that. "Please have a seat." her thoughts are broken when he tells her to sit down. "Now I think for this to go smoothly we both should agree to be honest with each other." Saylor nods her head as he talks. She starts to get nervous so she starts playing with the ring on her thumb.

"As you know my job as the President Panem is to keep the people happy... now keeping them happy, means keeping them entertained. And of course, the Hunger Games does keep them entertained. But as soon as the Games are over. The Capitol loses interest. And I can't have that happening. You understand that right?" Saylor was confused.
"Yeah I guess so... I'm sorry, what does this have to do with me?" She asks.
"Well, my darling. You are the Capitols Princess. The Capitol loves you. They find you desirable... They want to be with you." Saylor was starting to get uncomfortable. "But to get to the point... I have a job for you. You will come to the capitol for three days a week, and keep the Capitol entertained. You will come to parties and then people will pay for your company... if that's what you want to call it. "

Saylors's stomach dropped. He can't be serious. " like prostitution? You can't be serious! I'm not doing that." She argued. He sighed at her response."I was afraid you're gonna say that. Unfortunately, you do not have an option. And if you try and refuse, and do not cooperate. Your brother's well-being is at state. I am a powerful man Saylor. Don't test what I will, and won't do." he stands up to leave "Now, I must go I have work to do... as for you. The job starts right after the Victor tour. " He walks over to the door and is about to open it when he says one last thing.

" Oh, I almost forgot... you will have peacekeeper escorts to and from the capitol. And they will be following you everywhere you go.
For now of course. Just till you can prove you can behave yourself. We want to make sure you get there safely and on time. So don't even think about running away. I would hate for something to happen to your brother..." with his last words he finally walked out leaving Saylor alone.
Saylor was overwhelmed with emotions but she also felt numb. It's like her mind was blank. Tears were rolling down her cheeks but she didn't feel sad.
She wanted to scream. She wanted to scream so loud that the capitol came crashing down.
Saylor walked over to one of the shelves in the room and grabbed the old family Portrait. She held the photo to her chest and started sobbing.

All she wanted right now was her mom. Her mom would hold her and tell her everything is going to be ok.
I wish I could go back to when I was younger... something clicked in Saylor's mind.
Finnick... when we were younger... oh my gosh...That's what he was doing to protect me...
She immediately stood up, wiped her tears, and put the picture back. She ran to Finnick's room and Finnick was sitting on the edge of his bed in deep thought. He looked angry. But as soon as he saw his sister, his face softened.

Saylor goes over to Finnick and hugs him. He immediately hugs her back. "Finn... I'm so sorry. I-" he interrupts her. "Saylor do not apologize. It's not your fault." He says and pulls away from their hug. "Saylor, I don't want this for you. I refuse to sit back and let you do this. I will figure something out." He stated.
"Finnick I don't think there is anything you can do. He's threatened both of our lives. He knows that we will do anything to protect each other." Finnick stays silent knowing his sister is right.

after a while, Saylor went back to her room. she needed time to think and process what just happened. but after a while, it was getting too much she needed to clear her head and she knew the perfect place to help her do that. The beach.

——————————————————————————

Young Snow> President Snow
Also, did you get my "Snow lands on top " reference?