Forming an Alliance

Matteo Morales

I was wasting my fucking time. Who knew that a family could be so bad that I wanted to shoot each one in the head, right between their eyes. Sofia was next to me, practically clinging to my shoulder. While Antonio was rambling about how this marriage will be good for us. Correction: for them. I opened up my phone and pressed on the contact.

Matteo: Get a car ready, I'll be out in five minutes.

Kai: What? The glass slipper didn't match?

Matteo: The. Car.

I turned it off and pushed the phone into my back pocket. "Antonio, I need to talk to you in private.", I felt Sofia tense at my words and, finally, she let go. "O-of course, Mr. Morales.", he nodded and turned to Sofia, "Can you leave us be?". Sofia silently nodded and walked away. "This will not work.", I said, as soon as I was sure she was out of ear-shot. He chuckled and shook his head, "I didn't know you can joke like that, Mr. Morales.", he glanced at my face for reassurance, but I didn't show an ounce of humor in me.

"Oh.", he sighed, "Mr. Morales, can you please just consider-"

"No, Antonio."

"But, please, I promis-"

"This is another reason why, Antonio.", I interrupt again, "When something does not happen your way, you beg. You could've just agreed to my choice and be left with dignity, but you had to try to change my mind.", I see him glance around, nervously trying to avoid eye contact, "I'm a decisive man, Antonio. When my mind is made up, it's made up-". A scream erupts from behind me and both of us freeze. I slowly turn around, one hand steady on my gun, the other ready for attack. I turn around and see a woman lying on the marble floor in front of me. She is a vision of beauty, with her glorious auburn hair flowing down her back and on the floor, like a river of fire. She stares up at me, her green bright doe eyes sparkle with life, radiating brightness and joy. Her freckles add a special touch, giving her a charming and adorable look. Antonio clears his throat and she quickly gets up. A lock of auburn hair covers her face and I feel the urge to tuck it in behind her ear. She does it instead. My eyes scan her body. Her curves in all the right places, accentuating her feminine beauty and elegance. And her sun-kissed skin is flawless, the perfect canvas for such a beautiful piece of artwork.

"Elena,", Antonio spoke up, "What the hell are you doing here?". Considering how he talked with her, I assumed she was his daughter. "I- ummm-," her voice is like the honeyed sweetness of a summer's day. It is delicate and soft, yet filled with warmth and joy. It is the voice of innocence, of youth and wonder. It is a voice that is both captivating and irresistible, making it the perfect soundtrack to the beauty she includes inside and out. "You told me you only had one daughter, Antonio.", I tear my gaze from the art in front of me and turn to the other man, "I don't like being lied to.". I held his gaze, until the coward looked away. Then I turned back to the beautiful green eyes. Sofia was beautiful --I admit--, but she was invisible when she was next to her stunning sister, who was a work of art. My phone binged with a new notification. I opened my phone and saw Kai's message.

Kai: Car's outside.

I pocketed my phone and turned to Antonio. "Mr. Morales, I- she- she isn't..suited for marriage.", he says, rubbing his neck uncomfortably. My fingers tighten around the handle of the gun. When I don't reply, he turns to the woman, "Elena, go to your room.", her father said sternly. Elena stood up and practically sprinted towards the stairs. "Stay.", I speak up. Antonio and Elena tensed under my words, but unlike her father, the woman continued to move up the stairs. I sigh and get my gun out, when I shoot the wall right next to her, she freezes and whips her head around. "What is wrong with you!?", she yells. I almost laughed at the anger in her eyes, but resisted the urge. "She has to be ready by eight. My limo will come and get her.", I said to Antonio. His eyes lit up, "Sofia?". I'm starting to consider to shoot his head, instead of another wall. "Elena.", I reply. Her name sounds perfect coming out of my name, as if it was made especially for me.  "Mr. Morales, Elena is not suited for marriage.", Antonio said. Bravery was respected. Foolishness was disappointing. He was the latter.