16. Normal Days

Days go by busily for everyone, though at this point it was normal. Junia and Anna had their last arithmancy paper today. They both aced it but they already knew that. Anna chose to treat herself with some break and spend some extra alone-time with her boyfriend, leaving Junia alone with her thoughts. The rest were still getting ready for their papers for at least another week.

The different subject selections didn't allow Junia, Anna and Ellie to have the opportunity to spend too much time with each other. Though they didn't complain. Anna and her boyfriend have the same combination of classes, and so does Ellie and her new-found 'study buddy', Peter. And Junia had Sirius.

He is better than nothing. Due to the exams, there are no classes at all during the past two weeks. This meant Junia and Sirius had to meet up everyday, not just Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Junia made her way to the library, right to the spot Sirius and she had unconsciously chosen for themselves.

"You're here," Sirius greeted.

Junia dropped her bag on the table and sank to her seat. "How did you do on magical theory today?"

"You know that I've been getting straight Ds. So it must be going really well, right?" Sirius sarcastically answered.

"You are very funny, Black," Junia rolled her eyes.

"What about you? How's arithmancy?" Sirius asked.

"It was alright," Junia nodded as she pretended to consider how her paper went.

"You don't have to be humble, Crawford. I know you aced it," Sirius scoffed. "I heard you and that friend of yours in the hallway. I get that I'm not as bright as you are, but you don't have to fake things just to make me feel better."

Junia chuckled in disbelief, "Bold of you to assume that I was trying to make you feel better."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Psst! Jun— Junia!"

Junia turned around to find where the voice came from, and saw a string of curly hair poking out from behind the bushes. Junia smiled, knowing very well whom that hair belongs to.

"... for the record, I didn't do—"

"Sorry, I just remembered I left something in the common room," Junia lied. "Just go without me. Don't want to be late for lunch." Junia watched her three friends walk ahead, and when they were finally out of sight. "You can come out now."

Regulus came out of the bushes, his face beaming with excitement.

"Let me guess, you found something?" Junia raised a brow.

"Soon I will," Regulus said, as he took Junia's hand and pulled her to the nearest bench. "You know the Gaunt family?"

"I've heard of them," Junia nodded. "The one where the son killed his parents right?"

"Voldemort is related to them," Regulus said quietly. "His mother is Merope Gaunt."

"I've never heard of her," Junia tried to recall. "Did she die young?"

"She is dead, but that is most likely not the reason why you've never heard of her," Regulus explained. "She's a squib. She was hidden her whole life. The only evidence of her was her birth and death certificate."

Junia couldn't help but feel sad about it, "How did you find out then?"

"I've got my ways," Regulus shrugged. "Anyway, the Gaunts have many possessions, most of which are filled with dark magic, which is why they were confiscated when Morfin Gaunt was captured after he murdered his family and brother-in-law. This leaves Voldemort, Tom Riddle, the only living Gaunt left, though no one knows that, or the Gaunt's residence would most likely have been given to him. It's just an old, sad and empty house now."