34

34 - Nightshade

HADEN

     I stepped out of the office, feeling the anger release its grasp on me, replaced by pride. She was mine and no one else was going to give her the pleasure that I could. No matter what her past was, it wasn't going to ever compare to her present and her future – I would make sure of that.

The crisp air of the early morning greeted me as I strolled out of the pack house, getting back to the task at hand. Before I heard Zara's little conversation with Natalia, my focus was to get an update on the wolves' training and patrol routines.

As I closed in on the training compound, my arms tucked behind my back and my eyes honing in on the men in battle. The sounds of training bounced against my ears as I stood on the sidelines, Conner leading the charge with focus, the morning sun in the background as he engaged with the wolves.

His expertise in handling the pack's formidable companions was evident, each command met with a synchronized response from the wolves. It was a dance of dominance and submission, a delicate balance that mirrored the intricate dynamics within our pack.

He was my Gamma for a reason.

As the training session reached its conclusion, Conner approached me, the subtle tension of responsibility etched into the lines of his face.

"They're getting there," he initiated, his gaze also looking at the men hard at work.

"Indeed they are," I agreed, "they still have a lot of work to do to go up against the Rogue King's men."

"They'll be ready," he promised.

I nodded. "The patrol runs need to be more consistent as well. I don't want any rogues slipping through the cracks."

"Already done. Oh, don't forget about that Alphas meeting," he added as he glanced at me.

"Yeah, I remember," I answered, "things should be smoother now that we settled the... differences between myself and Bryon."

"We or you?" he pointed out with a smirk.

I deadpanned.

"Point is, there should be no awkwardness for anyone. The recent attacks actually help us understand how powerful the Rogue Kind has gotten."

Amidst our conversation, a subtle shift in the air caught my attention. I turned, sensing the familiar presence of my mate. Zara stood alongside Natalia, their proximity highlighting a newfound closeness that left a trace of concern lingering in the recesses of my mind. I couldn't possibly imagine how close they would have gotten, but I was grateful for it. There was no awkwardness between them and I knew Natalia was making every effort to make things work.

My focus didn't return to Conner until they disappeared from view, and I didn't miss the smirk on his face.

"Don't look at me like that,"

"What ever do you mean, Alpha?" he questioned, his smirk widening. When I rolled my eyes, he chuckled and added, "How are things going between you anyway?"

At that, I frowned and turned my gaze back to the men walking away from the field, training done for the morning.

"She slept with someone," I muttered, "I walked into the kitchen and heard her tell Natalia that before she came here, she slept with someone else."

"So?" Conner asked, making my gaze flash to his.

"What do you mean so?" I growled at him, "She's mine. She should only belong to me."