+ ﹒ 🍏 ﹕𝓒hapter II

[ footprint of the meteor. ]

BEADS OF SWEAT COLLECT ON HER FOREHEAD, a slow gulp taking by Amelia as she avoids the interrogative eyes of her best friend

BEADS OF SWEAT COLLECT ON HER FOREHEAD, a slow gulp taking by Amelia as she avoids the interrogative eyes of her best friend. Millie wrings her hands together, nervously and her eyes jump around everywhere except on Raya.

"So—"
"Get out of my house, Amelia." Raya cuts her off, voice monotonous and cold enough to leave Millie at the edge of tears. "You don't even pay rent."

      Millie pauses. "You don't pay rent either, though?"

Raya shrugs, moving her chopsticks around in her bowl and looking over to Millie, who sat opposite to her on the huge dining table. Neither of them ate their food, instead opted for suffering in unbearable silence.

"It's officially been a week since you've come back from Korea," Raya slams down her chopsticks, finally. "And you haven't gone back to your home, once. Millie, not even once."

Millie sighs, placing down her chopsticks as well, numerous excuses hanging over the tip of her tongue. Raya interrupts before Millie could dish even a single one out. "You said you'd tell me everything, but you've said nothing."

Raya's eyes and voice soften. "You left Thailand without an explanation, and now you refuse to go home. You refuse to tell me anything about it either, and I'm your best friend." Raya extends a hand on the table, inviting Millie to hold it. "I asked Ren, and you haven't even told him. Millie, something's wrong and you have to talk about it!"

Millie chews on her bottom lip silently, but her hand goes on the table, intertwining with Raya's. After several beats, Millie takes in a deep inhale.

      "I fought with Mom, an year ago..."

          Millie threw every clothing item she'd ever owned into her small suitcase, knocking things around and letting them fall to the ground.

The crashing sounds made several maids rush to the room, and they hung at the doorway, shocked. The eldest tried asking but a harsh glare from Amelia and her lips sealed themselves shut.

    "Amelia Chailai Suksawat!" A shrill voice, belonging to Kohsoom Suksawat halted Millie's motions briefly before she resumed again. The staff make way for the woman to enter the room, fearful glances shared between them. "Stop this—" Her mother said, through gritted teeth. "—at once."

Millie looked her mother dead in the eye, picked up a vase from her bedside table and dropped it on the floor. A sickly sweet smile took her features. "No." Came the very blunt reply.

      Kohsoom Suksawat crossed the few steps into her daughter's room and her slender hand came in contact loudly with Millie's cheek. Momentarily stunned, Millie stared at her mother in shock, holding her cheek.