Chapter 29 - The Empire (3)

“By the way, why were you surprised when you saw me?”

My heart seemed to skip a beat. Indeed, a leader was a leader. He saw through the momentary lapse and spoke.

As Phiri’s questioning gaze was directed at me, I quickly turned my head.

In truth, ever since I was surprised, I had been preparing an excuse just in case.

But I was only double-checking before speaking.

The two in front of me were pros among pros; they wouldn’t settle for mediocre excuses.

I looked at Derek with a trembling face.

“On a personal level, it’s a delicate matter… Do I really have to tell you?”

“We need to talk. I don’t want suspicious characters under my command from the first meeting, no matter how much the duke has raised them.”

Derek grinned slyly. Well, I wasn’t sure. Maybe it was just a grin, and I interpreted it that way.

Given the situation and the fact that I knew his true nature.

Deliberately glancing between the two of them, I took a breath and spoke.

“Occasionally, I’ve seen the appearance of a man in my dreams. I wondered if it could be my father from a time I can’t remember.”

“He looks like me?”

“Yes.”

I had momentarily lost my composure earlier, but not now.

Derek, who had been looking into my eyes, let out a faint laugh and nodded.

“Well, that’s disappointing. I don’t know if I have a child somewhere on this continent, but I’ve never seen one.”

With Derek’s words, the atmosphere relaxed.

It seemed like a joke, so I could only smile lightly.

“I apologize for troubling you with unnecessary concerns.”

“It’s okay. It happens. I would have done the same. However, you need to learn to control your facial expressions better. It was alright but slightly delayed.”

“I will keep that in mind.”

Although it seemed to pass smoothly, there was a slightly troubling aspect.

Before coming here, I had told Duke that I had no memories of the past.

Come to think of it, it didn’t seem like a big problem.

As long as I mentioned that only the appearance of a person presumed to be my father appeared and I have no memories of the past.

“Well, anyway, nice to meet you. I secretly hoped you would come after reading the evaluation report, but I didn’t really expect it.”

“I came to the Empire because I thought there was much more to learn in this harsh land.”

“I’m glad you find it more appealing.”

Derek smiled at Phiri’s words. Phiri added hastily.

“Of course, my persuasion played a significant role in the process.”

“Are you sure? I heard that this person originally had a different place they wanted to go. Did it change to the Empire?”

“I’m sure. Isn’t that right?”

Phiri turned to me with a self-assured face.

“Yes.”

“Hmm…”