6. The Millers

Trigger Warning: Violence (towards the end)

Marriage. A social, legal, and often religious union between individuals that creates kinship. 

That's the technical definition of marriage, and Darlene and I fulfilled every aspect of it 3 months ago. We called our close friends and family, stood in front of a pastor, said our vows, celebrated like there was no tomorrow and had ourselves registered as a married couple in the county clerk's office the next day. 

Though if I was to define marriage, it would be like this. 

In the tapestry of life, two souls entwine, 
A symphony of hearts, a love divine. 

If marriage is a journey, a dance of two, 
A tale of passion, both old and new.

Then friendship is the cornerstone of its domain, 
A bond unbroken, an everlasting chain.

And trust, the anchor in the ebb and flow, 
In its warm embrace, hearts continue to grow.

Oh, and if you haven't already guessed marriage also transforms a former high school dropout into a poet. 

Well, that and a creative writing course at college. 

"Babe, why are you up at 6 in the morning?" a tantalizingly hoarse voice called out to me as I sat at the kitchen counter, letting my creative thoughts spill onto the screen of my laptop. 

"Homework," I told her just as her soft arms wrapped around me and she rested her head on my shoulder. 

"What's the homework?"

"We had to write a poem on our favorite topic."

Her gaze wandered over my screen, "So you wrote one on marriage?"

"Marriage to you, yes," I smiled. "Its the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Though, the poem was done and its online submission could wait. Right then, my wife, the love of my life, was standing right next to me. Her warm body in nothing but a silk camisole and tiny shorts was pressing against my back. Homework was the last thing on my mind. 

"Let's go back to bed." I picked her off the floor, making her squeal, even as her lips found mine and her arms wrapped around my neck. 

I should add another couple of stanzas to that poem, I thought to myself as I her lay her on the bed, trailing my lips over her bare shoulders as her moans echoed around us. 

With fiery kisses, the world transforms,
In love's embrace, my destiny conforms.

Oh, the ecstasy that passion bestows, 
A river that in every heartbeat flows.

Suddenly, that poetic moment was interrupted by her anxious voice, "Deion, stop." She pushed me aside and ran to the bathroom, covering her mouth with her hand. I found her bending over the sink. 

"Oh my God, are you ok?" I rubbed her back as she rinsed out her mouth. "Must be a GI bug. Let me get you some water."

I started to move away, but she held me back. A slow smile spread on her face. "I don't think its a GI bug. Its not the first day I've needed to throw up in the morning."

"There is a GI bug going around," I stupidly replied, instantly thinking about the changes in cleaning protocol we had to implement in the hospital. If I had paused for a moment and really looked at her, the meaning of her words would have become crystal clear. 

It took her burying her face in my chest and whispering the obvious, to make my heart race in a way it never had, "Deion, I think I am pregnant."

It took a few more seconds for those words to register, and for me to reply, "I - I am going to be a dad?"