chapter- 22

Sarah's pov,

I walked into the kitchen of the office, my hands sweaty from anxiety. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and the sound of friendly chatter instantly eased my nerves.

"Hi, Mrs. Veneto? If im wrong?" The voice dragged me from my world to reality.

I turned to face the person. Blonde hair, blue eyes. He looks like he doesn't blink.

"Mr. Brown," I said, trying not to creep out. Well, Ryle is a good-looking guy if he stops bulging his eyes out.

"Well, call me Sarah; there is no need to call me by my last name." Ryle smiled warmly. his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Alright then, Sarah, it is," he said, extending his hand for a friendly handshake.

"I wanted to inform you that some of us are planning to go to Carnival, in West Seaside. You up for that?"

I stopped for a second. A carnival? It sounds exciting, especially when it's with my colleagues. I'm not a social person at all. Even in my school and college, I used to be the one who never interacted, then a social butterfly adopted me; I would say she was fucking crazy. I used to be so innocent before I met her; I never sneaked out of my house, never bunked school, never smoked or drank, but after I met Shelly, I became a completely different person. I actually started living my life.

Beside Shelly, I did make new friends—some of my office colleagues. But, you see, no one is normal here. If you work for the mafia, of course you might have a shady past. Like Regina Pattison from the development department, three years ago she was convicted for murdering her cheating husband. But since Richardo had such a powerful personality, not even the justice system stood a chance against him.

I have already been through so much lately. A trip with colleagues won't be a bad idea.

"Count me in."

As I walked towards the elevation, I couldn't wipe off my smile. It's been a while, and I felt happy.

"Well, well, well, look at you, Mrs. Veneto, did something happen? Care to share with your best friend?" Garner said it teasingly. My smile faded away. Mrs veneto? Fucking, Mrs. Veneto? This makes me sick.

"You don't have to call Mrs. Veneto; it sounds ridiculous." Garner chuckled and raised an eyebrow. "Alright, alright, no need to get all serious on me. So spill the beans. What's got you so excited?".

"Mr. Brown invited me to West Seaside Carnival. It's some sort of festival," she said, looking at Garner, and he laughed.

"You know, that's where I started selling drugs. It's crazy there." My eyes widened.

"How can you say that without using any filters?" Garner shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, you know, different strokes for different folks. But hey, as long as you're just going to enjoy the festivities, I'm all for it!"

"Does Richardo attend this sort of carnival too?" I asked. I hope not; he doesn't look like he does such things. All you see is his ridiculous face with no smile.

"He doesn't look like he does such things; that man never smiles, almost like he's been constipated or something." Garner chuckled at my comment.

"Well, I must say, he might get constipated if he doesn't stop dipping cookies in freaking sprite." Garner chuckled at my comment.

"Cookies with sprite taste okayish." He said, "But I wouldn't recommend pairing them with cookies. It's an odd combination." Garner replied, shaking his head.

"Anyways, why are we discussing his poop life?" Garner laughed and shrugged. "I guess it's just a funny observation. But seriously, let's talk about something else."