Chapter 6

Lillith

The past few days transpired as they always have. I woke up, every morning, to the sound of a horn and huddles of each category, making their way to the Inspection Centre, their fate bundled in another's hands. There are six numbered categories in total, starting from the elderly to the youth. I'm part of category six, the last day of the week, which I hate because it takes ages for these excruciating days to pass. To be honest, if someone had knocked on my door, offering to take forty years off my life, I would readily accept.

When category 5 was called up, me and Leila accompanied Sebastian to the building, like we do every year and stood outside, awaiting his return. When he did return, I stood with him until all the Electis had been called out. The list, thankfully, excluded him. It surprises me every time.
Stop.
I wasn't worried about him. I just... think he is a great... asset, to have in a place like this. I definitely was not thinking about our little interaction a week ago. I... swear? But it does surprise me every time. I mean... he is strong and fit enough to work as practically anything.

Anyway, category six will be called today. My day. It always begins at eight AM but I'm awake since six, staring at the cupboard across our shared bed. Beside the cupboard, is a small, cardboard box I had found in the attic for Leila's rabbit. His head is snuggled into his chest, the remains of a carrot, Leila had smuggled into his bed, on the cloth beneath him. I stare at him and continously recall my conversation with Sebastian. The alleged words my brother may have uttered before he left. I am not sure I believe it but a small, spark of curiosity has grown in me since. Could it be true? He was actually taken?

I lie awake like that for hours, pondering over this question and playing with the silver necklace around my neck. It's my mother's. The pendant is a wolf, standing upright, his head lifted in defiance. I trace my fingers on the lines that draw out its fur when knocks rattle the door.
"You are early Sebastian," I groan.
"Hello to you too. And I'm not early, it's like, 7:30, we need to leave soon."
"Oh. Right." I rub my face in anguish. He reaches out, pressing the back of his hand to my forehead.
"You okay?"
"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I mutter, ducking away from the heat of his touch. I notice how the numbers have slightly faded off his neck, as he slides past me and into the large room. Our house; that Father had bought long ago, has two floors, the top is more like an attic, where the rats go to play so it's off limits. But the downstairs, is our haven, away from the ugly reality beyond these four walls.

Sebastian pats Reigns head, then walks over to the cabinets, bearing a few rations from the feast, pulling things out onto the surface.
"What are you doing?"
"I'll make you both something to eat while you get ready," he lowers his voice as if he were sharing a secret, "And I'm quite the refined chef."
I let out a skeptical laugh and move away to nudge Leila awake from her slumber.
"Wh-What?" She moans rubbing her eyes and sitting up.
"Get up. Quickly. Get ready, we need to go."
She groans, rolls out of bed and splashes her face in the sink.
Sebastian hands me a plate of sugary, buttered toast, that I happily devour in a minute. I dust off the sugar from my clothes and hands, pleased, that for once, breakfast was made for me.

He cleans up and waits outside, as we ready ourselves. Leila is putting on one of her own frocks of a shade of baby blue. She eats while I put her hair in a bun, then, she pulls up her socks and puts on her old black pumps. I move to stand in the mirror, assessing how I look. I'm wearing a cream shirt, darker brown trousers with a black belt and the infamous trench coat. I move to my desk and open the top drawer,  pulling out my daggers, which I fasten to my belt. That's mandatory of course.

Satisfied with how we look,  Leila kisses her rabbit goodbye and then we shuffle out the door. Sebastian pushes off the wall he was leaning on, towards us.
"You took your time," he raises his eyebrows.
"And you never seize to annoy me."
"Well, It's what I'm made for."
He bumps his shoulder with mine, grinning down at me.
God... that smile.
Leila wags her eyebrows up and down as she watches us. I roll my eyes and claw my hand on her head, turning her away from me, making her giggle.