Brambles snapped at Vera's legs as she ran, nicking her coat and snagging on the hem of her skirt. The wind and rain battered against her, growing in force the deeper she charged into the woods despite that the trees were more clustered together. With each step, her legs became heavier, her lungs struggling for air, but she pressed on. It didn't matter how much her head hurt, how the forest blurred or shifted, how weary her body was; if she stopped, she would be caught, and the thing that followed her would not be so easily stopped like the pale, lanky creature. It pulled at her, called to her very being. Something about it was ancient, and the mere thought choked her with fear. Even without consulting the tome, she knew.

The ancient creature was the fae-killer.

She stumbled onto a forgotten path formed by exposed dirt and flattened grass. It wound its way through the forest, snaking toward an opening between two trees where a faint, white light flickered in the distance. Despite the rain and the growing darkness, the light beamed through the forest's shadows. Hope soared through Vera's chest. The city.

Something crashed through the underbrush behind her; the heat on her back increased along with the uneasy, prickling feeling of magic trailing across her skin. She didn't dare look back before speeding off down the path. Exhaustion dragged her down and she swayed, nearly toppling onto her side in the tall grass. Another sharp stab of pain ripped through her skull, darkening her vision at the edges. The path split into ghostly twins, doubles that swirled around her, taunting her. She blinked in a desperate attempt to clear her vision, but it only worsened the black spots creeping out from the edges. Against the dizziness that threatened to pull the ground out from under her, she continued running on uneven feet.

The edge of the forest was within reach, a mere handful of paces away. She was almost to the city, almost to the safety of the barrier that would keep the monster out, almost home where she would be protected from her stupid mistake.

Her foot snagged on a stray root and twisted painfully. She slammed into the ground, biting her tongue as she went down. The metallic tang of blood flooded her mouth and she swallowed a bitter cry, fighting the tears that pricked her eyes. Frantically, she pried her foot free, ignoring the wave of pain that rushed up her leg. It was barely free when the monster appeared at the end of the path, looming over her in the darkness. She shuffled back in a last ditch effort to put as much distance between herself and the monster as possible.

The city. All she had to do was make it to the city. Strength surged through her along with a rush of adrenaline. She shoved to her feet, wincing as her injured leg struggled to take her weight, and dashed for the edge of the forest. Light broke through the heavy curtain of rain as she burst out of the forest. The ground was muddy and her boots slipped, sending her rolling down the slight incline into an open clearing where the white light pulsed strongly behind a metal gate.

It was not the city skyline that greeted her, but the silhouette of an old manor, its property as overgrown and wild as the forest surrounding it. Ivy crawled up the walls, and the eaves appeared to be crumbling at the edge of the roof. And yet, the light shone behind the windows of the first floor, a beacon that beckoned her into its warmth. Vera's hope fizzled out as uncertainty took over, but the light was warm and inviting.

Above her, the misty form of the monster emerged from the trees with slow, deliberate motions, its eyes pinned on her. Swallowing her fear, Vera struggled to stand and fixed her sights on the manor. If there was a light, there had to be someone inside. Against the monster, two would be better than one. Or, if nothing else, perhaps the owner of the manor could at least shield her for a time.

She slipped on the mud as she rose again. This time, her ankle refused to stand evenly, and she limped toward the gate as quickly as she could while the monster trailed after her. It was in no rush, it seemed, arrogant that she would go down easily—like Wyn whenever he became too confident in their sparring matches.