Chapter 20

TW: Death, Metions of Genocide, Gore, Metions of Rape

(I will make a summary for this chapter in the next chapter so don't worry if you need to skip this for the preservation of your mental health. I'll see you then :3)

"Welcome to the underground kid!"

I gaped at the size of the underground base. People dressed in all different styles of worn earthy tone clothing sported the same blue and red tattoos of a sword piercing a dainty bare woman in the heart on different parts of their bodies. Their faces lined in blue, red, and yellow body paint as they chatted and did business with one another.

The little boy giggled at my open mouth before running off with some other kids around his age. This...this is paradise. A reminisce of what life could have been if the elites didn't take over. No one was scared or looked as if they were dancing on eggshells. No...there was a smile on everyone's face. Laughter and small talk reigned the area, no one was bound in chains or collars.

Men and women alike were for once...getting along. I was in utter awe as I spun around slowly trying to take in every aspect of this life I had only seen in my dreams.

"Aye, kid. Pick up your jaw. You still haven't met our leader yet. If you're gonna become one of us you will need his approval and the mark of the rebel."

The mark of the rebel? He must be referring to the tattoos. That is the only thing everyone seems to have in common here...well that and their hate for the elites.

I blinked before nodding as I quickly followed him through the underground town of people, markets, and homes. Eventually, we get to the very far end of the base. The noise of the people has long since become distant as we enter this temple-like home.

The man came to a stop before turning to me.

"Welcome to the leader's domain. I won't be able to take you any further than this. Those who want this must go in alone to show their courage and commitment to the rebellion. Those who back down are killed and seen as elite worshippers. I wish you luck, kid."

With that, he tips his head slightly as if he is tipping his hat to me and begins to stroll off. I gulp before looking towards the temple.

"Here goes nothing."

I whisper under my breath before walking into the house. The place was clean and quite homey with warm lighting illuminating the place. It looks more scary outside than the inside. I shake my head before wandering further inside only to be stopped by a voice.

"Who enters my home?"

I jump slightly startled before turning sharply on my heel. Is that-

"Mr. Lovell?"

His eyes widened as he walked towards me. He has aged over the years. His black goatee was now a full-fledged beard with greys showing through. His once slicked-down back black hair was now messy and overgrown. His brown eyes, once bright, have now dimmed with age. Wrinkles caressed his face and his once muscular body has now slightly crumbled as he holds tightly to a cane. The only thing remaining of his young self was the scar gracing his right eye due to Valerie's jealousy.

"Y/n?"

I hesitantly nodded as he slowly made his way to me before collapsing into me and giving me a tight embrace. Although his physical isn't the same his strength hasn't changed a bit. I hug him back before we separate.

"I'm glad you're still alive. Wow, you have grown. I remember when you were but a tot running around with Aimiah, Diara, and Chantel. Now look at you."