Chapter eight: Halloween

͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
The next week was Halloween and the Marauders were trying to figure out what to be for the Hogwarts Halloween Party. It was hard to find five people's costumes.
"Guys, for the last time, I am not going as a banana," y/n told the group.
"But y/n!" Sirius laid himself on top of her, basically crushing her. "It would be funny,"
"You're crushing me!" She yelled, pushing him off.
"How about we go as Scooby Doo characters?" Peter suggested.
"No, that's such a stupid idea," James said.
"How about we go as cops?" Remus suggested.
"Actually, that's a pretty good idea," y/n said.
"You just want to look sexy for a certain someone," Lily said, walking by.
Y/n whacked her arm.
"Wait, y/n, you like someone?!" James jumped up from his seat. (He's a bit slow)
"Nope," y/n glared at Lily. "Actually, Lily, do you like anyone?"
Lily's eyes darted to James and back to y/n's.
"I'll be in my dorm," she started walking away.
"So that's a yes," y/n grinned at James who grinned back.
Now that the plan was final, the group got their costumes and were ready for the party.
Walking into the party, y/n felt proud of herself that she looked hot but not as slutty as some of the other girls there. She had a basic cop costume on with fishnet tights underneath the shorts.

    The dining hall was decorated with Halloween decorations everywhere and they even had candles floating around

The dining hall was decorated with Halloween decorations everywhere and they even had candles floating around. The music was blaring so loud Regulus could barely hear himself think. He had already drunk three beers and a lot more spiked punch than he should've. When he saw y/n walk in, he spit his drink out, earning a few laughs from his friends.
"Dude, what's wrong?" Caius asked, having not seen y/n's costume yet.
He and Evan started laughing even more when they saw y/n was dressed as a cop. The three boys had decided to go as criminals that year, not realizing the Marauders were going as cops. Regulus's face was bright red and he tried to cover it with his cup.
"I'm guessing you didn't know?" Evan asked, trying to contain his laughter.
"I mean we never really talked about what we were going as this year," Regulus admitted.
-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
"So are you excited for Halloween this year?" Y/n asked her prefect partner.
They were on their nightly patrol and had been having steady conversations throughout the night.
"Yeah," Regulus was lost in his thoughts.
He was still thinking about what y/n had said in the hospital wing. Y/n had passed out and when she woke up, she was normal again. She had nervously asked Regulus if she had said anything embarrassing but he lied and told her no.
"Are you even listening to me?" Y/n asked.
Regulus looked over at her and saw an interested look on her face.
"Not really," he admitted.
"What's your favorite Halloween costume you've dressed up as?" Y/n asked.
"Uhm, I don't know," Regulus looked forward again.
"C'mon, I know you have a favorite costume, don't lie. Everyone has one," y/n poked his side.
"Fine, fine, I was dressed as a bat one year. I guess that's my favorite," he finally said. "What about you?"
Y/n thought for a moment before her face lit up.
"I went as Glynnis Gryffiths one year. Best costume ever," she smiled. "What are you going as this year?"
"What are you going as this year," Regulus asked.
"I asked you first,"
"Well, I want an answer first,"
The bickering went on for a while and neither told, their pettiness taking over.
-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
Regulus could see y/n searching the crowd and he hoped that she was looking for him. He was right, and when she spotted him a smile formed on her face, getting even bigger when she saw his costume.
"Hey guys," she said when she trotted over to the Slytherins.
"Hey there officer," Evan joked before turning to Caius. "Let's go get some punch,"
"Just to warn you, James and I spiked that the second we walked in here," y/n warned them.
They went off to the punch, whispering between themselves. Y/n smiled at Regulus again, making him nervous as she looked him up and down.
"I like your costume," she finally said.
"Same to you," Regulus responded. "I guess we had similar ideas,"
Suddenly, y/n got bumped into, pushing her closer to Regulus, almost touching. The person turned around, it was a small blonde Hufflepuff dressed as a flower and something about her seemed familiar to the pair.
"Oh, I'm sorry," she apologized. "Nice couples costume though,"
"What, oh, no we're not," y/n stumbled over her words.
"Oh! Sorry, I just thought you two were dating, y'know because of the whole closet thing," the girl explained.
Y/n realized that she must've been one of the first years in the classroom that day.
"What's your name?" Y/n asked, wanting to finally put a name to the face.
"Ally Walker," the girl smiled. "I'll be going, but still, nice not couples costume,"
The girl walked away and y/n turned to face her friends. He was still drinking, to try and hide his face which had never been so red.
"Hey, easy on the drinks," she told him.
"Uhm, no," Regulus poked her face, drunk out of his mind.
"Okay, well, I'm gonna go find my brother. To make sure he's not bugging Lily too much," y/n was stopped from walking away by Regulus grabbing her hand.
"Wait," he paused, as if trying to get the words out. "Dance with me?"
"Yeah, why not," Y/n turned back to him.
Regulus had a goofy smile on his face, much like the one he often saw of y/n's face. This time, it made y/n's heart flutter. She had often seen small smiles or evil grins after pranking her, but this was the first carefree smile she had seen from him.
They went out to the makeshift dance floor and danced to the rhythm of the music. Y/n had never seen Regulus this carefree.
After dancing for a while, they went over to take a break. Y/n was laughing at herself for tripping over her feet so much when she got pulled away by her brother.
"Are you drunk?" James asked, obviously drunk himself.
"Uhm no, but it looks like you are," y/n asked, having not touched a drop of alcohol.
"No! You are drunk," he slurred. "You're dancing with him!"
He pointed to where he thought Regulus was.
"You're too drunk to be having this conversation, why don't you go find Lily?" Y/n pushed him to where Lily and Marlene were.
"Wait, y/n, can I talk to you for a second?" Lily asked before y/n could walk away.
"Yeah, I gotta go find someone, what's up?" Y/n asked.
"I've been meaning to ask, what's going on between you and Regulus recently?" She wiggled her eyebrows.
Y/n's face got red again.
"Well, uhm, we're," y/n sounded just as bad as James, minus the alcohol.
"You guys seemed pretty close on the dance floor," she smiled.
"I'm uhm, I'm gonna go," y/n ran away.
Y/n searched around for Regulus but couldn't seem to find him anywhere. Eventually she saw Caius and Evan and decided to go ask them.
"Hey, do you guys know where Regulus went?" She asked the boys.
"Oh, yeah, he actually just went out the doors, saying he was gonna go find you," Caius laughed.
"Thanks, I'll go find him," she waved bye to the boys.
She started walking to the doors but was paused by a worried looking Remus.
"Have you seen Sirius?" Remus asked.
"Looks like we're both looking for a Black brother," y/n said to herself. "No, I haven't, but I'll tell you're looking for him if I see him,"
Remus nodded and started his search to find Sirius. Y/n started wandering the halls, calling Regulus's name. He was nowhere to be seen.
Suddenly, y/n heard people screaming in a nearby hallway. She rounded the corner and saw Sirius holding Regulus up against the wall by his throat. Her instincts kicked in and she ran to pull the brothers away from each other.
She grabbed Sirius's arm and tried to pull it away.
"Sirius, stop! You're going to kill him!" Y/n yelled at her friend.
Sirius used his other arm and pushed her away with such force, it knocked her to the floor.
"Good, maybe he can feel the same pain he caused me!" Sirius yelled.
Regulus was clawing at his throat, eyes slowly closing. He saw y/n there, punching Sirius to try and get him away from him. He watched through half lidded eyes as his friend finally knocked his brother away from him, she pushed him away and stood in between the brothers.
"Leave him alone!" She yelled.
"Why?! So he can go back to his death eater family and degrade my name?" Sirius asked, drunkenly. "That's the weak way out! You're weak!"
Y/n helped Regulus up and turned back to Sirius, trying to ignore what he was saying.
"Stop! You're drunk, don't do something you'll forget," y/n told him.
"Has he told you? Has he told you how he left me?!" Sirius yelled.
"I left you?!" Regulus's eyes were wild. "You left me! You left me in that hell hole!"
"You could've come with me!"
"You know that's not true," Regulus snarled. "You've always had the easy way out. You could always do what you wanted!"
Sirius charged at Regulus but his alcohol infected mind tackled y/n instead. He started punching her over and over again, his eyes closed, not wanting to see how he was hurting his brother. But he wasn't. And he realized that when Regulus started pulling him off, yelling at him to stop.
When Sirius looked up from his spot on the ground, he saw his brother holding y/n on the ground. She looked terrified of him. When he looked up even more, he saw James and Remus standing there, disappointed looks on their faces. Peter had just run to get help for y/n.
"Let's get you to the dorms," James helped Sirius stand up.
"Seriously? You're helping him?" Y/n asked, her scared face turning into hurt.
"Y/n, Peter's getting you help, but we can't get Sirius in trouble," James explained.
He and Sirius started walking away, Sirius leaning on his shoulder.
"I shouldn't be surprised," y/n spat out.
Regulus looked down at her, seeing the angered look on her bloodied face.
"What's that supposed to mean?" James turned around, passing Sirius off to Remus and stepping towards his sister.
Regulus helped her stand up and face her brother.
"Oh, nothing, maybe just the fact that ever since you met Sirius, you've completely disregarded me!" Y/n yelled at her brother.
"That's not true. You're my sister and I love you," James said.
"Fine, if that's true, choose," y/n's eyes were piercing.
"Y/n, you don't have to do this," Regulus whispered to her.
"I need to," she whispered back. "Me or Sirius,"
James looked between the two, his face unreadable. He was drunk and y/n knew exactly what he was going to choose, she just needed to hear it.
"Guys, you have to get out of here," Peter ran up to them, warning them. "Madam Pomfrey's coming,"
"Y/n, I'm sorry," James helped Remus carry Sirius away.
"I knew it," Y/n leaned into Regulus.
"Just so you know," Regulus told her. "I would choose you,"
"Madam Pomfrey, over here!" Peter called the nurse.
"I would choose you too," Y/n said before passing out from her head injuries.
͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽