[Proof Showing Up Matters | Jayson Tatum]

You sat in a booth waiting for Jayson's arrival, his mother reached out and demand you two needed to talk. Of course — you had to take an hour or two out of work because surely this conversation would turn left in a heartbeat.

"Hey, my fault — practice went longer than expected." he said, sitting across from you.

right after he did so, the waiter brought out the drinks, you ordered yourself a strawberry lemonade and a water — and for Jayson a sprite. You two placed in the orders, and the waiter heads back to the kitchen.

A sigh fell from your lips as you start the conversation again, "your mom called me — she said it was something we need to talk about." and as if on cue, our phones went off, you picked yours up and read over the text.

your eyebrows scrunches together, wondering why the topic would be about your son, jayvion. glancing up, jayson was already looking at you.

"do you know something about him?" you ask.

"moms said he's been having these little fits when he's with the nanny — he's gotten into these fights with deuce." jayson twirled his straw into the cup avoiding eye contact with his soon to be ex wife.

"It's the separation, and maybe because we're always so busy.." you admitted, voice barely above a whisper.

he actually met your gaze, nodding his head as he reached across the table to cover your hand, "then we need to do something about it. he needs us. deuce needs, even more so now." jayson said, his voice filled with determination.

it's been so long since you've felt him touch you, or you touching him — you squeezed his hand in agreement while your eyes reflect the same resolve. "we do, we gotta acknowledge both of their feelings. i'm going to switch work from the office to home, shortening my days to where i can get involved with his school as well as deuce's."

Jayson added on, "and maybe on the weekends we can plan things we can do as a family? little road trips?"

you would nod, "sounds okay with me." then your phone buzz, and you quickly picked it up.

"work husband?"

quickly looking at him, you laugh. "excuse me?"

"work husband? you got one of those when you in the office don't you?" jayson raised an eyebrow, his jealously showing.

"Actually i don't. do you? is it jaylen?" you mock raising your own eyebrow.

"you're not funny." he squints his eyes.

"i'm not, im hilarious actually." you roll your eyes, and continued on, "if you must know, i got a notification that our son is in a play and the show is tonight."

"What?" jayson's voice echoed around them, he was taken aback, his mind struggling to process the news. he wasn't aware that their son was in a play,

had deuce even thought to let him know? Or perhaps they did, and the parents were too busy, they had failed to listen. The thought filled him with a pang of guilt. their son was reaching out, trying to share his life, and they were missing it. The realization hit him hard. he's always been up when it came to deuce, and as soon as something happens between him and his wife, they let everything go.

"The play is the Nutcracker, it starts at 7." you check your watch and it was only a little bit over 12 pm.

"I'll pick you up at 6." he tells you.

"I have a car you know?"

"Doesn't matter, we're going to show up together, and leave together." He sipped his drink. Your food gets placed in front of you, and you grab the ketchup to put on the side of your fries.

━━━━━━━━━━━━

ain't never seen a full episode of baddies east, but waiting to see the reunion. 😭