-Chapter 1-

Maan looked at the young girl who was trying her best to calm down the 11 months old Pari

Maan looked at the young girl who was trying her best to calm down the 11 months old Pari. No matter what she did, the baby in her arms refused to calm down. The baby! Maan's heart shook every time he looked at her. She was his Mahir's child. The child he had helped raise was now a father. His eyes wanted to fill up, but he forced the tears at bay. Mahir had chosen to keep the identity of the child from him, and that hurt worse.

Two years ago on his wedding day, Mahir eloped with his bride's sister. It was so unexpected that Maan refused to believe it. He was sure that there must be some reason behind Mahir's decision. He put all his resources into tracking them down, and he did track them down, by the time they had shifted to Boston. He had not even been aware that Mahir had applied for a US visa.

He wanted to confront Mahir, but as an on-duty officer, he could not cross the borders without permission. He was awaiting permission when Mahir came back. It had been just shy of 3 in the morning when the doorbell rang. It had taken a few minutes for him to even register the fact that someone was at the door. Nitya, his wife, woke up before him and got down from the bed. He held her hand and stopped her. She stiffened. Their relationship was very strained. His trust in Mahir became a bone of contention between them.

She never trusted Mahir. They had gone to college together. She was his senior by a year, and they never got along. When he fell for her, Mahir had a tough time reconciling with the fact, but in the end, he accepted her wholeheartedly. Nitya was learning to trust him when he went missing with Adhira at the wedding. He could understand her lack of trust, but he could not turn away from Mahir, not until he knew what happened. The boy he raised would never do anything to hurt anyone. Mahir came off as arrogant and uncaring, but only he knew how sensitive he was. He gave a hundred percent to every relationship. He would never do anything wrong. If he eloped with Adhira, he knew there would be some strong reason. Though he was hurt and humiliated by what Mahir did, there was a part of him that still trusted him. Nitya could not accept that. She blamed Mahir for everything. Adhira had just turned 19 on the day they eloped. Mahir had a reputation for being the ladies' man. His natural charm made him popular. He could understand Nitya's apprehensions, but he could not agree with them.

Nitya pulled her hand back from his hold and got down to answer the door. Maan followed behind her silently. It was too early for someone to knock at their door. His house had full security. As the chief of the Crime branch, he enjoyed all the privileges that came with the post. He was not bothered about safety, but it was the hour that bothered him.

As they made their way to the door, they saw his mother already opening it. Mahir hurled himself at her and hugged her tight. They almost stumbled. Nitya was shocked to see him, and so was he.

"I missed you, Maa," they could hear him say.

They rushed towards him. His mother held him and cried. For 15 days, they had been worried. Mahir and Adhira had not even bothered to make contact. He was about to take a step towards Mahir when Nitya pulled him from his mother's embrace and pushed him back in anger.