part 1.

Nadia Jackson was awakened from her slumber to the sound of the digital alarm clock, blarin off in her ear

She groaned, throwing her quilted white comforter over the top of her head, wishing she could just go back to sleep. She didn't necessarily have to get up just yet, as it was a Saturday morning. But she knew that if she didn't, her mom would lecture her until her ears fell off.

And knowing that, she stuck her hand out of the blanket, pressing the snooze button the clock so it would stop going off.

That was one of the many, many rules in their town.

"A sufficient member of society always wakes up as soon as their alarm goes off in the morning. It is essential to start your day early and keep your sleeping schedule intact."

And in saying that, the mayor asks that every parental figure in the household do their part in making sure their kids are following the town rules. Anyone who decided that they wouldn't or didn't want to would suffer a rude awakening from the city council.

"Nadia, get out of bed! And wake your brother up too!" Nadia heard her father's voice boom through the house as he yelled out to her.

She released a deep exhale, rolling her eyes before going to do what she was told: "Yes sir!" She called back as she walked to her brother's room.

She approached her brother's room,  slowly opening the door. "Antwon- ugh!" She cut herself off as she reached for her face, covering her nose and mouth with her hand, the nasty aroma wafting through her brother's room hitting her in the face.

Antwon smacked his teeth, squinting his eyes at the sun peeking through his blinds as he was awoken by the sound of his sister's voice.

"What man? What do you want, dia?" He asked as he turns over to look at Nadia, running his hands down his face.

"What I want is to know if you washed your ass last night," she smartly remarked. "It smells like a foot in here."

"You don't have to be in here; you can close the door behind you too." Antwon quickly snapped back at his sister, throwing the cover back over his head.

"I didn't come in here to argue with you; dad told me to wake you up. Just get up and take a shower." Nadia quickly said before closing his bedroom door and finally walking away and inhaling.

"Fresh air!" Nadia cheered, laughing at herself, before she went into her bathroom to do her daily hygiene routine.

After she wrapped up doing what she need to do in the bathroom, the usual activities of washing her face, brushing her teeth, and scraping her tongue, she wiped her mouth off with a rag before heading down to the kitchen to greet her mom and dad.

"Morning mama." She smiled at her mother, going to give her a hug and look at the food on the stove. "Goodmorning baby." Kimberly spoke back to her daughter.

"Morning da-"

"No ma'am. You know how you suppose to say it." Derek quickly stopped her before she could finish her statement.

Nadia mentally rolled her eyes, clearing her throat before restating what she said originally. "Goodmorning, dad."

"You know better." He glared at her for a second before greeting her back,"Goodmorning Nadia."

Their mom, Kimberly, and their dad, Derek, are two of the most well known people in their town of New Vilonthes. Derek is a pastor at the church just a couple of blocks down from the family's house, while Kimberly is a nurse at the local hospital.

She normally works rather long shifts, often getting called in when she was off work if the hospital was understaffed that day, which could sometimes cause her to be irritable at times. She loved her job, it just stressed her out somedays.

Derek loves his career as well, he's a very church oriented man and he likes to keep his family in the church. Not only for him, but to appease to the city council. Families were expected to attend church every Sunday, being able to miss maybe 1 day per month.

He swears by the Bible, and that, in turn with the rules that families were expected to follow and parents were expected to enforce on their children; he's extremely tough on the kids.

The end goal "The American Dream". The kids/teens were to grow up, be successful, get married, and have a family. Nothing "silly" was to be pursued as a career.

Nadia being 16, and Antwon being 14, he also expects Nadia to keep her brother in line whenever they're around each other without their parents, which really only happens when they are at school. She doesn't do it, though. Nadia hates the tense environment her dad creates the second they do something wrong and she doesn't want to do that her brother.

"The food smells good." Nadia stated, sniffing the air as she grabbed a plate out of the cabinet and rinsed it off in the kitchen sink.

Soon enough, Antwon's footsteps were able to be heard coming from the back end of the house. "Goodmorning mama, goodmorning dad, goodmorning dia." He greeted everyone as he walked into the kitchen, grabbing his plate out of the cabinet.

"Go set the table before y'all start stuffing your faces, I'll bring the food in there." Kimberly laughed at the both of them, giving Antwon a kiss on the forehead.

feel free to leave feedback!