Chinese Myth | Wu Gang, the Woodcutter

Wu Gang is a lazy man obsessed with immortality and divinity. He could never continue a task that lasted more than 3 days. Nevertheless, he desperately wants to become an immortal, so he seeks out a god to help him achieve his goal. He eventually finds a gray-bearded god in the mountains and asks him to teach him how to become immortal. The god asks him if he's sure because it's not easy to become immortal, and it will be a long and difficult journey. Wu Gang says he is sure and asks for instructions.

The god leads Wu Gang into the mountains where he begins to teach him different functions and properties of each herb, although Wu Gang is too impatient to pay attention. He asks, "Why are we doing this hard work? Shouldn't a god be happily flying around and relaxing?" He continues to complain about how tiring the work is.

The god gives him another chance by telling him to finish reading a book about life and philosophy. The god says, "You should first understand the philosophy of the universe; read it through."

Wu Gang asks, "And I'll become immortal afterwards?"

The god says yes.

After a few minutes of reading, Wu Gang begins to doze off and awakens when the god hits his shoulder. Angry from embarrassment, he exclaims, "What kind of god are you? Glued to a book all day? A god should be flying into the moon and playing around!"

The god replies, "Well, since you said that, let me take you to the moon and have a look around." He takes Wu Gang to the moon, and after they arrive, Wu Gang sees nothing but a huge tree.

Wu Gang asks, "That's all? Well. Can we go back now?"

The god replies, "You said you want to become divine, right? Take this ax, and chop that Osmanthus tree down."

Wu Gang becomes excited because he thinks chopping a tree down is easy and quick, so he was finally going to become immortal. However, to his astonishment, the tree healed itself every time Wu Gang cut it.

The god says, "This tree can only be chopped down if you make 300 continuous cuts with patience and concentration, or it will keep healing itself. Once the tree is down, you can become divine and fly home by yourself." Since then, the tale of the woodcutter Wu Gang chopping a tree on the moon nonstop has spread, serving as a message educating its listeners of the importance of perseverance and hard work.

Second Version

In another version, it is said that immortals were sent to chop the tree for punishment.

Third Version

In another version, Wu Gang witnessed his wife's affair with the Yan Emperor's grandson. The affair had been going on for so long, she went to bear three sons. In a rage, he murders the grandson, but in punishment, Wu Gang is banished to the moon where he would cut down a tree for eternity. Like other versions, the tree would heal itself and therefore he was cursed to cut it forever.

Fourth Version

In another version, Wu Gang begins the attempt to become a Taoist immortal, but gives up halfway through the process due to laziness. This infuriated the Jade Emperor, so he punished him by creating a cherry bay on the moon for Wu Gang to chop down. However, it healed itself, proving the task to be impossible. It is said that the shadows on the moon are created by the growing cherry bay.

Fifth Version

In the last version we found, Wu Gang locates a teacher in the mountains to help him with his quest for immortality. When his teacher tried to teach him to heal, he gave up after 3 days. When he was taught how to play Chinese chess, he gave up after 2 days. When he was taught the method of eternal life, he gave up after a day. His teacher sends him to the moon to chop down the tree there as punishment.