Chapter 32

After finishing dinner, following what by this point was an everyday routine, Gabe, Bob, and I went to the garage to train lifting weights.

"Nope," I said to Gabe as I took a weight plate from his hands that he was attempting to put on the barbell.

"What?" he asked, somewhat offended. "But I've been alone with the bar for a long time," he argued, almost pleadingly, immediately pointing to the metal bar resting on the rack of our home gym.

"I know, but your muscles and bones are not well developed yet, little man," I quickly replied, giving him a gentle push under the bar.

"Dad," Gabe pleaded to Bob.

"You heard your brother; he knows what he's talking about," Bob responded seriously while lifting a dumbbell in each hand asynchronously.

"Okay, okay," Gabe said in defeat as he lay back again, preparing to lift the bar. "This way, my muscles won't grow; I don't even lift with the same bar as you guys," he continued complaining with a furrowed brow as he lifted the bar.

"That you're lifting is thirty-three pounds; your load will be progressive. Don't expect to lift anything heavier until you're a few years older," I calmly explained to the excited kid. "Now stop complaining and continue quickly; you're taking up space," I scolded, giving him a light tap on the forehead.

Muttering, Gabe continued with his exercise.

As always, Gabe entered several minutes before us to have more time to prepare for sleep. After saying goodbye to Bob and entering the house again, I also completed my nightly routine before lying down, ready for the next day.

I would be lying to myself if I said I wasn't nervous. Meemaw would return tomorrow with two possible outcomes: empty-handed or with a lot of money.

Hoping that my memory was not deceiving me, I closed my eyes, trying not to think about the consequences of losing so much money in such a risky bet.

The next day unfolded normally. Waking up a few minutes before the alarm, I informed Gabe to get ready with me and go for our morning run. Once again, Gabe, pushing himself to the end, managed to run the same distance as me.

Sending him to the only other bathroom in the house, I took the main one before having a light breakfast, ready to head out.

Saying goodbye to Mom and the kids, Bob and I headed to school in his horrible yellow truck. "By the way, today you'll ride back with George," Bob suddenly said during the drive to school, reminiscing as he moved to the rhythm of the music.

"Okay," I replied to the man calmly.

After Bob dropped me off at the school gate, as I did every day, greeting people I passed by, something I did now out of muscle memory, but when I really thought about it, I couldn't help but be amazed at what I had missed for so many years.

Socially isolating myself to continue studying had worked wonders for my academic ability, but now I knew I had basically lived like a recluse in the social aspect. I had no friends, and that was depressing.

Walking gratefully, appreciating this opportunity not to be a social recluse, a few steps away from me, I ran into Kat again. She was walking briskly down the hallway, head down, bumping into people who weren't quick enough to dodge her.

I didn't know Kat well enough to intrude into her life, but remembering the pleasant girl I had met several days ago, her current behavior didn't match. It seemed like she didn't want to talk to anyone; maybe I should talk to her friends.

At my locker, my friends, as usual, were already stationed, talking and laughing about any current hot topic.

"SuperStar, today you're going for Debbie?" after greeting everyone, Brock asked, making everyone look at him with confusion.