02

"It is so nice to have [ name ] over!" Mrs. Saiki beams, setting down a cup of warm tea in front of you. "I rarely see you go out and this is the first time you've walked with Kusuo!"

  "Thank you for inviting me in." you politely bowed as you took the cup of tea on to your hands. "Shina told me so much about your family. Thank you for the side dishes you brought a few days ago."

   "Did you have a taste of it?" Mrs. Saiki sits beside you, her beaming smile still curled up on her lips. "Do you like it?"

  You can feel your cheeks lightly heat up from the questions. You can't really blatantly admit that you've been longing for more of the side dishes. You are usually left alone in the house and cooking after school is too much a hassle for you. Hence, you rely most of your food consumption to the side dishes and meals Mrs. Saiki brings.

    Kusuo sat from across the coffee table, legs crossed as his head is turned to the television. He's getting a clear vision of you gobbling up Mrs. Saiki's meals.

    "...They're very tasty." you responded, returning Mrs. Saiki's smile. "I love them a lot."

   Mrs. Saiki's excitement is visible on her face and her body language. You can tell from just the way she squirms and scoots closer to you. "Then, why don't you eat dinner here today?!" she questions. "Shina wouldn't mind, would she?! I'll pack some dishes for her too, so be sure to give it to her when you go home!"

  "What?" Saiki turns his head to his Mrs. Saiki. A dinner? With you? Surely his mom is just doing it for hospitality.

  "Oh, Kusuo!" He hears his mom's thoughts cheer in joy. "It's a good thing you brought this sweet girl over!"

  He frowns, sighing. Well, he can't really go against what Mrs. Saiki like. With how excited and happy she is, he can never bring himself to convince her to kick you out. You did bring joy to his mom.

While waiting for Mrs. Saiki to prepare dinner, you waited in the living room with Kusuo. You insisted to help her but she abruptly pushed you back down on the sofa, and with the sweetest, yet threatening tone, she told to stay put, sweet, and to get along well with her son.

"Mrs. Saiki is very nice." you commented to somehow build an active conversation between the two of you.

"She is." Kusuo kept his gaze on the television, preferring to keep the silence going. "Too nice to bring you in."

After that brief response, Kusuo's attention averted from the screen of the television as he hears a familiar pounding. His gaze shifts from the screen to you. He can feel your eyes piercing right through his glasses—the beat of your heart loud enough to almost burst through your chest.

It's like you're watching even the smallest moves he makes. From the way he moves lifts his fingers, the way his brows furrows, or how his eyes narrows when a commercial comes into show.

He hates the feeling of it, being watched. He has a valuable reason, being psychic and all. But he has the upper hand in a situation where he's watched; he can read you, hear you, and see right through you, literally.

He'll know when you know something about him.

The sound of the people chattering on t.v is suddenly occupied by the sound of your pounding heart.

It's as if it's always asking him to be let out. But, isn't that a ridiculous thought?

Kusuo stood up, approaching his mother in the kitchen, leaving you patiently sat on the sofa. You're quite behave to say the least.

"She's like a dog." he thinks as he hears your pleading words for him to not leave and to stay, and how delighted your words would be when you caught him turning his head to look at you again.

"Oh my," Kusuo hears Mrs. Saiki mutter, hand on her cheeks as she peeks inside the fridge. "Kuu, don't you think you bought too much coffee jelly?"

"No, that's the right amount." He responds, his eyes shifting to the stocked up coffee jelly inside the fridge.

"You still have some left from yesterday," Mrs. Saiki hums, turning to the kitchen counter where the coffee jellies you bought are rested. "Why don't we give some of that to your dad?"

As Mrs. Saiki reaches out for the plastic bag containing the coffee jellies, Kusuo's hand swiftly took it into his hands first.

Mrs. Saiki, surprised, places her hand on her chest as she raises her brows. "Do you not want to share, Kuu?" she asks, despite the way Kusuo acted, she still sounded so gentle.

"...These are mine." he hesitantly responded. "You can give the days old to dad."

  Mrs. Saiki tilts her head, watching as her son bring the plastic bag up to his room. "Be sure to come  back down," she reminded him. A guest is still present, after all. "...What difference are the new ones and the days old?"

Eating homemade, warm dishes brought comfort in your stomach. You held back a smile every time you chomp on to your food.

Kusuo can hear your delight, it's almost like you want to stay for desserts too.

    But then, "I'll need to get home soon." you said, raising from your seat as you gathered up your used, empty plates. "Thank you for the meal, Mrs. Saiki," you turn to Kusuo, smiling. "Saiki."

   Kusuo briefly nods in a way of acknowledging your polite behavior while Mrs. Saiki insisted that you do stay for desserts.

   "Kuu, walk her home. I'll clean up around here." Mrs. Saiki says in delight. "Your father will be home late, be sure to pick him up from his work, too!"

   "Can't he just take a cab?" Kusuo questions, standing up from his seat.

   Mrs. Saiki's menacing aura painted with a sweet smile gave Kusuo the hint that disobeying from her request is not an option. Never an option.

    "Okay, I'll see you later." Kusuo says, rushing to the main entrance where you're already waiting.

    "Do come by again, [ name ]!" Mrs. Saiki says from the kitchen, peeking her head out to give you a quick wave.

    You glance at Kusuo, wondering if he enjoyed your company enough to welcome you back like his mother is doing. He caught on to this, responding with a subtle nod. You did bring so much joy to his mom today.

     With your cheeks heated up, you nodded excitedly to Mrs. Saiki. "Will do." you say, stepping out of her home with her son following behind.

      It was only a couple blocks away, does he really have to walk you home? Another thing is that your distance between him is five steps away. Do you really want him to walk you home?

    Perhaps you're trying to act like you don't like him at all?

     "So, Kuu—"

   "Don't call me that."

   You purse your lips, silenced once more. "But it's cute." you turn to him, just noticing that he is five steps away from you. A teasing smile forms your lips, am expression he didn't expect to see from you. "Kuu."

    Kusuo narrows his eyes. You're teasing him.

   "Go home." He said. "And I'm pretty sure you can walk yourself back to your gates from here."

     You raise your brows, nodding with a smile. "Sure." you said, walking further away from him. "I'll see you tomorrow at school, Kuu."

    Kusuo watches as you get further and further away. He didn't mind you at first, but now that he has spent an hour or two with you for a day, you're now nothing but another hindrance to him; showing that kind of behavior. The kind he hates.

    "The nerve."

_____