Chapter 3: Private School

Season 1, Episode 3

Avery makes herself an omelet after setting her sisters in front of her.

"Reading the newspaper? You are gonna lose all of your wired teen hyper texting nano gizmo street cred," Richard says as he walks into the kitchen area.

"I'm a rebel. I kick it old school," Alexis puts up her pointer and pinky finger in a rock and roll esce way.

"Is this-"

Avery sips her own coffee as Richard had found his under the espresso machine, "Cream, two sugars."

"Thanks. The style section. Anything I need to know?" He asks his youngest.

"That hair style was out two decades ago," Avery pokes fun of her dad as she sits down to eat her breakfast.

Alexis laughs a real laugh while Richard does a fake, mocking one, "The 70s are back."

Richard nods, "They're like the Highlander. They just won't die. Good morning, mother. You're dressed early."

Martha sets her matching gloves and purse on the counter, "Oh, I have class." 

"I believe that's a matter of some debate," Richard pokes fun of his mother as they share a fake laugh.

"At the new school, funny man," She pours herself a cup of coffee, "Look, it's-it's not that I don't appreciate everything you've done-but a girl has to stand on her own two feet."

Avery looks to her dad, "Maybe that means I should start looking at apartments of my own-"

"No," Richard is quick to cut her off before turning to his mother, "What's the class?"

Martha is really excited as she tells her family, "Introduction to Life Coaching. It's-it's always been my desire to make a difference, whether onstage or off. I...have had cards made," She takes out some business cards and passes them around.

Richard looks at it, "That's my-I'm-you-it says here I'm your client."

Avery stifles her giggles, "Of course you are. She's been telling you what to do your whole life."

"Oh, uh, dad, Julie Schmidt's father is back in rehab, so a spot opened up to chaperone the DC trip," Alexis tells them.

Richard moves over to the fridge, "Where is the-how did you know Julie's dad was back in rehab?" 

Alexis shrugs as Avery hands Richard the thing he was looking for, "Must be a wired teen hyper nano thing. So what do you say?"

"Sorry, kiddo, but, uh, with you away, my chaperoning needs reside here, or are you forgetting what happened the last time we left her alone?"

"So she had a little party," Avery shrugs off.

Richard looks to his daughters, "There were lime shards embedded in the walls."

Martha comes around the corner, "It was Cinco de Mayo."

"What about Avery?" Alexis points to her older sister.

Avery shakes her head, "I've got night shift duty for a couple days. If I want to fast track myself to detective, Beckett says I should do everything in my power to stand apart from any competition."

Richard pulls out his ringing phone, "Speaking of Beckett...who was murdered and was it gruesome?"

Pulling out her phone to see a text from Ryan, Avery sighs, "Not as gruesome as he's hoping."

☽☽☽☽

The Homicide Division, plus Richard, walk to the crime scene together as Esposito starts with some details, "One victim-Donald Kendall, 18. He was a senior at Redding Prep."