Home Again

Shielded from the glaring sunlight by her dark shade spectacle, Seraphine took in the warm air which was better than the unpleasant one she had been inhaling in the confined space she was earlier locked in.

A carriage stopped in front of her, blocking her vision of the road, "Mr. Xavier told me to get you a carriage" she turned in the direction where the annoying voice of Mr. Appleberry came from.

"How nice of him" with sarcasm dripping from her voice, Seraphine scoffed before entering the carriage.

To avoid being seen by familiar clients in her hideous state, she took the front door which was rarely used because of how far it was from The Pawn and headed straight to her room.

Shedding her clothes off, she filled the room with lavender, the scent soothed her nerves. Seraphine reclined in the bathtub, her body was wrapped in the embrace of the warm, fragrant water. The gentle sound of water trickling from the faucet added to the tranquil ambiance as she closed her eyes, allowing the stresses of the horrendous days dissolved in the cool serenity of the moment.

"Seraphine, you stubborn child, welcome back my friend?!"

The shrilling voice of her only friend disrupted her long peaceful bath, she sighed as she dried her body, "I'm in here. Thank you for your concern, I was almost suffocated by your constant visit while I was locked away in the cell"

Noting her sarcastic response, Felicity hugged her friend, "I didn't mean to leave you there by yourself, Mr. Pawn and I tried all we could to get you out but a particular officer insisted that we couldn't see you until Mr. Xavier does" she moved to the table where she placed the things she brought along.

Setting the table, "I don't remember the name of the officer but it sounds kind of funny, something about fruit I think" Felicity poured the warm broth in the bowl.

Seraphine scoffed as she brought her head out behind the curtain which separated her bathroom from the bedroom, "Appleberry?"

"Oh yes, Officer Appleberry. He told us to come back this evening and it doesn't guarantee that we would see you."

"Oh dear, look at your neck" gently she pulled Seraphine towards the table, "here, drink this warm soup. It will help heal fast. Thank the gods I had the good sense to seek a stronger and faster herb from our dear doctor and healer."

Seraphine's stomach grumbled, finally glad to see something to consume, "how do you even know that I was home for you to prepare this?" Looking at the numerous appealing meal on the table.

"Mrs. Nosey saw a strange carriage in front of your house which looked quite elegant and you know" letting Seraphine's imagination complete the rest.

In between drinking the soup which Felicity insisted had to come first, Seraphine giggled, it never ceased to amuse her whenever her friend called her own mother by that nickname, "so you prepared this and also ran to the doctor to get the salve after guessing I could be the one" knowing her friend's kind nature and dramatic attitude, she smiled when she saw her nodded.

"Since I'm no magician, I only prepared the soup myself while I told my brother to get the rest from Madam Knox's. I'll apply the salve on your neck while you eat. The doctor advised you take some days off to rest and speak only when necessary" Felicity lightly applied the salve on the would, paying outmost care to it so as to prevent her from jerking in pain.

Nodding, Seraphine squeezed her friend's other hand in appreciation, she picked a sheet of paper close to the her bedside table and scribbled a note on it.

Felicity nodded in understanding, "as much as I'm sure it would kill me to wait till your throat gets better before I ask you for the gist of the whole situation, I just have to wait." Faking sadness, she lowered her eyes, "that's what friends do, isn't it?".

Twinkling her eyes as she suddenly remembered something, "tell me something to reduce my curiosity. I'll do the talking, just blink twice if your answer is yes and once if no. I would have said you should nod but your neck needs to heal"

Seraphine wondered what her questions would be.

Sitting across the chair with curiosity all over her face, "tell me something, is it true that the factory owner is quite handsome? I heard his golden hair is almost blinding during day with how shiny it was although not much has been said about the night since he hardly attends soirees like the others." With a longing eyes which Seraphine or anybody would have guessed to be a face one makes when daydreaming.

"I also heard his face exude such handsomeness, sleek and smooth like silk one would almost mistake him for an angel, in all I heard he glows"

Seraphine almost chocked on her soup, she snapped her fingers at her silly friend, and blinked once. Who are the visually impaired people that have been feeding her friend with such lies?

Felicity's eyes widened, "you mean no?" She asked again for confirmation even though she saw her blinked.

She pictured the arrogant vampire's face, the only thing worth remembering about him was his eyes, and not because they were admirable but because of how cold and empty they looked, for emphasis sake, Seraphine blinked again, tightening her eyes.

Felicity made a disappointing face, "anyway, I'll have to look for a way to see him myself" not willing to give up that easily, she ensured her friend properly settled in the bed before leaving, taking the route which led to the shop, she informed Mr. Pawn about Seraphine's arrival and how she needed to rest for some days.

*********

"You mean nothing out of place or extraordinary happened throughout the time she was there?" Damien asked one of his men whom he planted around the girl with the rare eye colour.

Damien had learnt overtime to follow his instincts, as much as he took his friend's word for it, who claimed to have seen such eye colour before, he still felt a nagging feeling to be aware of everything concerning the girl, which was why he had ordered one of his kinds to spy on her from afar.

"Nothing, everything was normal throughout" the constable replied.

"Ok, you can leave but keep your eyes and ears out" he instructed. The moment when the guard left, Damien transported himself back to his kingdom, walking straight to his study. He unlocked the hidden room which revealed all his result of years of fervently searching for the Eyes. The people he had employed long ago to help look for the Eyes had been fruitless.

Since his gut told him to keep the human girl close, he would do just that. Perhaps he would be lucky one day. Bidding his time by waiting to see even if a subtle change or occurrence happened around the girl, that could convince him that there was more to the girl.