Chapter Twenty-Five

The visit to Flint's lawyer's was quick and Gita didn't really know what to do about that. It had seemed all too... well fucking simple. A few quick words about leaving her as a beneficiary, some signatures, and she was suddenly the sole inheritor of Flint's estate if he died. Which was a lot of assets. Apparently the massive amount of money in his bank account was minimal compared to the stocks and bonds he owned. The man was really financially savvy and for some reason that was something she found very attractive.

Not in a she liked the money kind of way, in a 'this man is stupidly responsible, has a stable plan for the future, knows exactly what he wants out of life, and I kind of really fucking like that' kind of way. She had never been one to think of having a living will, which was stupid after what happened to her clan but Gita hated remembering it and the idea of planning for a future, especially when she had no one to leave anything too, was... well it was fucking depressing. So she just never did but she was realizing she should probably correct that. She wasn't entirely alone anymore.

She gave Flint's hand a small squeeze, the urge too big to ignore. He had been correct in saying it wasn't a game, this was their lives now. They were so intertwined that she knew there would be no way they could ever separate properly. They hadn't even really given the bond time to settle and she already felt a little panicky about losing him, which honestly the whole will thing made a little worse.

Flint gave her hand a squeeze in return as he adjusted his other hand on the steering wheel. She stared at him, taking in how flawlessly attractive he was. Yes, his nose had a bump from where it had been broken, and he had a scar that went down his jaw, a faint line, and his hair was definitely a bit shaggy but damn if he wasn't fucking attractive.

"I swear, female...." It came out slightly growled as he trailed off, giving her a more than heated look and Gita shifted slightly in her spot. Right, distractions, she needed some distractions.

"So you said you would want to keep working in the Star Order." She couldn't believe the male she chose belonged to that group. They were the boogiemen of the boogiemen. There was nothing a cultist feared more than the Star Order getting involved, any bad guy really. Their reputation was fucking brutal and efficient, and for good reason.

You had a vampire acting as a warlord? Yah the guy would fucking disappear and never be seen from again unless the Vampire Alliance got to him first. The Order was very much kill first, deal with the consequences after. The scariest part was, you could be in those situations, talk to someone for days or weeks without realizing they were in the Order until they slit your throat, then they would move on because you wouldn't be alive to name them or warn anyone else.

The stories of them floating around the WC were enough to make a person shiver in horror. Gita had always been fascinated by them. They had eradicated several cultist groups, the one who massacred her family had been taken down by the Order shortly after they had decimated her clan. The reports or what happened had been redacted but she had heard rumors of dragon fire and warlock magic. She had wanted to be a member but they approach you and Gita knew she would top out at WC. She just didn't have enough raw talent to be approached by the Order.

"Yes. I like what I do and I would like to continue until I'm basically forced to retire." His response was firm, no give, as if he thought she might argue.

"Okay." She gave a small nod. "Can you tell me anything about old cases?"

"Depends on which ones? Most of them will be confidential." The fact he was open to even discussing it was surprising and Gita felt a bit of excitement at the prospect of learning something, anything about the cultists dying.

"The Pale Crescent Cultists, taken out fifteen years ago." It came out almost breathless with excitement and she couldn't help it.

"Those are the ones who took out your clan." It wasn't a question but Gita nodded anyway. "I wasn't part of the Order when that happened. I had heard the Anders clan had been massacred but I was still with Maddock at the time." Her heart sank at the news. She had wanted to know but she knew it wasn't Flint's fault he couldn't tell her so she squeezed his hand. "Octavius would know though. He was the lead on that op. Once you take a vow of secrecy, I'm sure he would tell you."

That had her pausing, there was excitement but also trepidation. "Vow of secrecy?"

"Yes, we need to keep our identities secret. Everyone who comes into close contact with us require it." He glanced over at her. "Don't worry, it's a spell that simply makes you lose your train of thought when you're trying to talk about us to anyone outside of the Order or Order adjacent. The only exceptions are certain high level officials on most channels."

That did make her feel better and she pondered on it slightly. "So when would I do that?"

"After our seclusion more than likely." He gave a small shrug at that and Gita gave a small hum of acknowledgement.

"And this Octavius would tell me what happened?" She really didn't want to get her hopes up but she did want to know more. She wanted to know if they suffered, how they took them down. She wanted to know everything.

"More than likely. We all understand what it's like to lose people, if he feels it will give you closure or comfort then he would tell you." His hand tightened on hers slightly and when she glanced at him, he had a hooded look on his face. She glanced out the windshield and she could see his cottage in the distance. She pressed her lips together, that explained that. That weird cigarette smoke he blew in her face was starting to wear off and all she could smell was delectable, aroused male.

She had to distract herself and him, she knew there was a lot they had to discuss about everything before they started getting lost in the remnants of the mating haze. "So I think-"

"I don't want to think at the moment." It came out slightly growled and Gita pressed her thighs together at the rolling desire that rippled through her at that growled tone.

"But I do think we should talk." Gita really felt like she needed to talk about things. Like her want to keep being an agent, how they wanted to plan out where they would go from here. What the vow of silence was for one. This Octavius guy for another.

He parked the car and a low rumble escaped his chest. "No." He shook his head and got out of the car. Gita watched him with wide eyes as he stalked around the car and opened her door. "Out, Gita." The authoritative tone in his voice had her breathing deepen and she didn't hesitate as she got out. He pressed a hand to her back, his palm broad and the touch was heated even through her shirt.

He lead her up to the house and Gita swallowed hard. Gods just being near him was addicting. The remnants of the mating haze were starting to overtake her and she let out a slightly shaky breath as he opened the door, leading her inside.

"We will need to talk." It came out of her almost breathless as he didn't stop in the foyer. He lead her to the kitchen and Gita gasped as he turned and grasped the backs of her thighs, lifting her onto the kitchen counter. "Like it needs to happen." She had no clue why she was still going on about it as he settled between her thighs, his lips pressing against her throat. She gave a small whimper as he pinched her skin gently between his teeth.

"Not right now." He murmured it against the skin of her throat. "I said I wanted to fuck you on my kitchen counters, Gita. I fully intend to do so." Gita let out a small eep at the sound, her eyes wide as desire started its roaring inferno in her veins.

"Do you have to say it like that?" She gasped as his hands slid underneath her shirt and he nodded, a low chuckle rumbling his chest as he pulled her closer to him, settling a bit tighter between her thighs. She could feel his hard cock pressing against her through her sweats and she bit her bottom lip.

"It always makes you so flustered." He nipped at her earlobe as she gave an almost offended gasp. He chuckled again, "I'm going to have so much fun with you, love." He pulled back and looked down at her. It was a hungry and intense sort of look that had her lips parting for a moment. He didn't really even give her time to process anything as he dipped his head and captured her lips in a hungry and fiery kiss that ignited the remnants of the mating fever and swept her away.

They would talk, just later.

Much later.