Chapter 2 | Bunk Mates

______________________________

Salem walked around with Carl as she introduced herself to people around the prison.

"Pleasure to meet you! I'm Carol" the sweet lady shook Salems hand with a smile on her face.

"Hey kid, I'm Daryl" the man nodded to her, a rag in his hand as he wiped down the mirror on his motorcycle.

"Hey, you hungry?" Carl turns to Salem with his hands in his pockets. "Fucking starved" her eyes widen. "Follow me" he gives her a side smirk before walking past her towards the cafeteria. She followed him quickly in anticipation.

"Woah, cool," she looks around at the concrete cafeteria, the aroma of food overwhelming her, "never been in a prison before." "Cool right? Yeah, this whole place was overrun with walkers when we first got here, but we slowly cleared them out and started this place up," Carl explains as he grabs one plate, filling it with food. Salem just listened to him talk, she found his voice soothing.

Carl handed her the plate and the two went to sit down at a table. She ate and listened as he told her all about the people in the group who she hadn't met yet. "Yeah, and then there's Lizzie, she kinda freaks me out so I avoid her" Carl raises one eye brow and Salem smirks. After Carl finally runs out of things to say, their conversation quiets.

"So what's up with that hat?" Salem questions him between bites. "Oh this?" Carl looks up and places one hand on the top of his hat, removing it to let her examine it. "It was my dads, he was a sheriff before everything went to shit. He gave it to me." "Cool" Salem responds, eyeing the hat before Carl places it back on his head. "It looks good on you," Salem says, not looking at him before standing up and walking to put her plate in the stack of dirty dishes. "Thanks" Carl says softly before she returns back to the table.

"So uhh, what do you want to do now?" Salem questions. "I suppose we should find you a bunk" Carl stands up and waits for her to follow him. "Oh, alright."

"Ok, so this one's my cell, and the cell on the left is free if you wanna take that, or we can see if there's a free bunk near Carol," Carl shows off her options. "No that's alright, this one's great" she walks over to the cell, setting her backpack down on the bed.

"Oh, I got some of this from the pharmacy before you guys got there" she opens the backpack, displaying the antibiotics and syringes. "Oh...nice" Carl suddenly looks embarrassed, putting his hands in his front jeans pockets. Salem raises an eyebrow before looking down at her backpack to see the condoms and pregnancy tests in full view. "Erm, yeah I figured I could trade these so I grabbed whatever I could" she explains. "Yeah, good idea," Carl says, still looking completely embarrassed. "Who should I give this to? I'm assuming y'all could use these" Salem asks, referring to the supplies.

"You can give it to me, I'll hand it over to the nurse. It'll be quicker that way and you can finish getting settled in," "Sure," she hands him the antibiotics, syringes, pregnancy tests and condoms. Carl clears his throat before walking out of the cell.