Mothers and Nannies

Chapter 2 - Mothers and Nannies

It was at this time of the night that my exhaustion really hit me full force

It was at this time of the night that my exhaustion really hit me full force. I stood still for a second, leaning against a tiled wall in the kitchen with my head in my hand.

Headaches were pretty common for me when I worked at the restaurant. I had to hold two jobs when I nannied the previous kid. It wasn't a live-in position, so during the day I was there watching the girl, and at night I came over to the sports bar and grill for my waiter job. It left little time for sleep, and the pheromones that littered the place made my head spin after hardly getting through half the shift.

"Alek, what are you doing? It's not your break, yet. Get back to it!" Barked the manager, which did nothing to ease the pain throbbing through my skull.

"Yes, sir." I rushed back out to the floor and endured another hour of harassment from the patrons. Being an omega working as a waiter in a place that served alcohol never mixed well together.

Once my break came around, I rested my head on the table in the back room and just let my muscles unclench and relax. I never knew how tense I was until I finally let myself breathe.

Thank God my phone went off right before I was passed out—the manager wouldn't have appreciated that very much.

Sighing, I reached into the back pocket of my jeans for my phone that was buzzing and ringing like crazy.

Probably just another spam call. I thought to myself as I checked the caller ID.

It just read "unknown caller" so I tapped the green button.

"Hello?"

"Yes, hello. Is Aleksander Atwood present?" At the familiar voice, I straightened up and swallowed down my nerves.

"Yes, this is him." I heard tapping and looked down to see my own fingers hitting the table over and over again.

"Ah, Mr. Atwood! It's lovely to hear your voice again. It's Carly Madden. I got your background check in and everything's good for you to start the job. Of course, I'd like you to meet my son to make sure you two get along well. When would be a good time for you?"

My jaw was practically on the floor. I got the job?!

Fumbling, I stuttered, "Um, whenever works best for you!"

"Perfect! What time would you be able to come in tomorrow?"

"As soon as I get off work, which is around six in the morning."

"Alright, so how about 8:00? That should give you plenty of time to get here! I'll send you our address in a bit. Thank you, Mr. Atwood and I look forward to seeing you again."

"You as well. Goodbye." I hung up quickly, hardly taking in what she said. Address? I'm going to her house?

Before I let myself freak out, I got up and headed back to work.